Security Installer Community

How to replace Texecom sounder batteries....Question?

Hi - I have a Texecom premiere elite 24W Ricochet kit which I installed back in 2013 and during a recent power cut the panel reported failed battery for the external sounder. I must admit its been on my list for a while but I've never got round to it due to other jobs.

Anyhow there are 2 sounders connected, a Premiere Odyssey 5E and a Premiere Odyssey 3.

Looking at the manual and I recall during install I was required to connect the wires to the units first then to the control panel second, the sounders being initially powered from the control panel and I seem to recall a  jumper inside the sounder used to connect the sounder's own battery before closing the lid.

So for my question, just to be sure I do not set off the sounders as I unstall new batteries.

I read I can either invoke sounder Hold Off Mode by activating the strobe 3x within 30 seconds OR simply connect the strobe wire inside the control panel to the 0V....which I think I will do as I plan to change the controller battery too.

The sounder will indicate Hold Off Mode by flashing the Right LED only, then I can open the sounder without setting it off.

Now once opened do I need to remove the sounder battery power jumper so that when I install a new battery the sounder itself is not connected to its own battery?

I have made a note as I am using 2 sounders that there is an order/sequence of installing and connecting the sounders to their own batteries and closing their lids so I expect to follow this.

My question is regarding the pulling of the sounder jumpers which I am expecting that I should do so that the sounders are in a state as if just installed - lids off and not connected yet to their own batteries until I plan to close the lid.

I'm no alarm expert but I hope my question is clear enough for someone to confirm/advise if I have the right idea or should do it some other way.

Thanks for your help.

G3 Odysseys will if they are wired up correctly.

When it's in Engineer Hold-Off mode you then work on it, that's the point of the mode. Pulling jumpers will trigger it as power is already applied to the terminals.

They are stuck in engineer hold-off mode until you finish, close up and then wait for it to expire or trigger it.

Obviously it's still powered so you have to be careful you don't short stuff out or get a kick off the strobe, it's an engineer mode not a user friendly mode.

ok - thanks sixwheeledbeast.

I will be logging in via keypad in Engineer mode.....I have wintex too but to do things like change pir batteries I like to use keypad and log in as Engineer.

So no need to do anything except invoke Hold-Off mode, open sounder and replace battery...great - thanks.

Just another question if I may. No plans to change sounders but I read new sounders do not need battery change.....so do they have them?

I thought sounders used their own battery for the siren.....I have had a power cut once many years ago when it was off so long the control battery died and then the sounders went off.....I think for 20 mins or so...can't recall exactly. I replaced the controller battery after that.

Thanks again.

They should be recharged from the panel. You may find the bell is just faulty, or your diagnosis is wrong.

Usually because of the weathering they take it's more sensible for an engineer to replace the unit if it's not relatively new.

Plastics fatigue, piezos get frost damaged, electronics get tired or moisture corrosion. Depends how sheltered the location is.

10 hours ago, newuwave said:

ok - thanks sixwheeledbeast.

I will be logging in via keypad in Engineer mode.....I have wintex too but to do things like change pir batteries I like to use keypad and log in as Engineer.

So no need to do anything except invoke Hold-Off mode, open sounder and replace battery...great - thanks.

Just another question if I may. No plans to change sounders but I read new sounders do not need battery change.....so do they have them?

I thought sounders used their own battery for the siren.....I have had a power cut once many years ago when it was off so long the control battery died and then the sounders went off.....I think for 20 mins or so...can't recall exactly. I replaced the controller battery after that.

Thanks again.

I still don't get it 

How is it reporting battery failure on a wired sounder ?

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

I still don't get it 

How is it reporting battery failure on a wired sounder ?

Some sounders have a g3 relay. I'm assuming this is integrated into texecom bells with texecom panels without that direct wiring need. Like the strobe hold off defeat. Engineer friendly features for the non engineer 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.