Security Installer Community

Panel Recommendation

58 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I agree, comms side is confusing for people not in the trade. We spoke about this recently in trade.

This is why I have purposely been referring to these types of communication as "private reporting" here. IMO It is a better term to describe, non polled self hosted messaging. Using no words related to ARC's or signalling.

But even "proper" signalling have confusing grades. What use is ATS G2 if complete failure is 25 hour response, for example.

I don't think the insurance understand half the time either.

As for PSTN switch off, the alarm industry has been preparing for this for a decade or more. The topic just keeps rolling on and on, all the kit is ready most have been fitting it or upgrading to it for a long time.

I expect a lot of users who speech diallers installed and do not know about the switch off are going to be in for a bit of a shock come 2025. 

• 5 months later...

As a follow up to this, the insurance company have stated that no alarm system is necessary due to adequate existing security on the building (High security steel doors with Mico Tindall Locks) and no windows.

So it looks like we will be doing a self install. 

I have added a PDF of a basic floor plan.  The whole building is 30M long, built with double wall concrete block and rockwool filled cavity.

The roof is Kingspan insulated sheeting, 

Only two doors provide access to the building.  One is a fire escape with 3 point crash bar and a 1200lb maglock, No external access to unlock this door.  The primary door is only opened by key card or emergency override key.  An additional maglock may be fitted to this door.

I have proposed putting door contacts on both of these doors and a PIR in both areas since they are the escape routes.  Would you put a sensor in the large 30m room?  This area has no external access.

On the face of it a sensor or door contacts used on the interior doors would not be of much value?  Even if this is a self install do any regulations at either Grade 2 or 3 require door contacts / PIR in this area or could it be left unmonitored?

Thanks for any advise.

Sport Club Building 2023.pdf

4 hours ago, dlucas said:

As a follow up to this, the insurance company have stated that no alarm system is necessary due to adequate existing security on the building (High security steel doors with Mico Tindall Locks) and no windows.

So it looks like we will be doing a self install. 

I have added a PDF of a basic floor plan.  The whole building is 30M long, built with double wall concrete block and rockwool filled cavity.

The roof is Kingspan insulated sheeting, 

Only two doors provide access to the building.  One is a fire escape with 3 point crash bar and a 1200lb maglock, No external access to unlock this door.  The primary door is only opened by key card or emergency override key.  An additional maglock may be fitted to this door.

I have proposed putting door contacts on both of these doors and a PIR in both areas since they are the escape routes.  Would you put a sensor in the large 30m room?  This area has no external access.

On the face of it a sensor or door contacts used on the interior doors would not be of much value?  Even if this is a self install do any regulations at either Grade 2 or 3 require door contacts / PIR in this area or could it be left unmonitored?

Thanks for any advise.

Sport Club Building 2023.pdf 252.64 kB · 2 downloads

the pair of steel doors will cost more than the alarm....

rather than your diy effort buy a dummy ast box off ebay ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God