Security Installer Community

GT600/601 Panel with Vo-COMM voice dialer.

leew87

Hi All 

This is my 1st post here im looking for some advice 

i have a RISCO GT600/601 Panel with Vo-COMM voice dialer fitted with my alarm system i am looking to get rid of my telephone line and more to virgin full fibre with voice over internet. 

Virgin are saying to me 99% of alarms systems are ok with it as there digital phone line system (VOIP) is the same as a phone line its just digital you can even plug standard landline phone into it without issue but require me to confirm this before signing up i dont want to be left in a postition when they install it wont work. 

can anyone help me answer this once and for all i have tried asking the company that install it but they are very little help they are just saying i need a whole new system etc i think this is just for the money. 

thanks in advance for any assistance in answering this. 

TL;DR - Yes upgrade system.

To expand because I am sure that's why you are here...

The panel is obsolete so no parts are available. As an aside, I am surprised your keypad is still functional, most I see now you can hardly read the screen or press the code in with ease.

Vo-Comm uses PSTN, you will not have this. The new router will probably have an ATA as you say but you will likely get issues with using this and it be unreliable, the same reason most fax machines are in the bin.

Virgin just want you to switch and deal with the issue later, but in fairness all newly designed systems should either be radio i.e. SIM card or IP i.e WiFi/Ethernet as options, be that private reporting or monitoring.

Even if you did it try connecting to the ATA and you were fortunate enough to have it work somewhat reliably, it would only take some router upgrade or power outage and it may stop working.

You will be responsible for making sure the ATA works and has line voltage so the Vo-Comm can dial, your PSTN provider currently do that -- with ATA if the router is powered off or crashes; then no line/no message.

These types of private reporting are not too reliable, so you may not care about it only working some of the time, there is no polling so who knows if it will work when you need anyway.

The phone port is not the same and 99% of alarm systems WONT work with it.

If it was the same why are they upgrading etc etc

It may work sometimes.

I have noticed that sometimes open/close events go through but alarm signals do not etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

19 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Mobile signals can be jammed and IP could still have downtime or an attack.

Both the path or the manufacturer are irrelevant, the only way you know if a signal will be received is if it polls (uses/tests) the path regularly.

Orisec can detect line failure    as I often get calls where a customer switches off the router and the alarm gets a fault

1 hour ago, Imnotshankled said:

Orisec can detect line failure    as I often get calls where a customer switches off the router and the alarm gets a fault

not the same as polling and only any use when unset though

local failure reporting when armed would be a bit pointless 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

13 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

not the same as polling and only any use when unset though

local failure reporting when armed would be a bit pointless 

For commercial yes but for a small domestic how often would that happen 

and how many customers are willing to pay £75 a year for commercial monitoring 

You do get a panel offline message if the panel is disconnected from the Internet but that can take up to a hour to receive 

And in fairness any sort of external notification is a blessing  as most systems I work on are just bells only  when they really should have monitoring   or they had monitoring but cancelled it

And for that 1% that it can fail doesn't make the other 99% not worth it

And be honest  what is the likelyhood for someone to attack a wifi network and then break into a house at the same time or when the wifi is out to just to break into a house