Security Installer Community

Texecom Elite - engineer code

keymx

Hi all,

We bought a house recently with Texecom Elite V3 system installed in it and I am trying to get it sorted. The previous owner didn't leave us with any details unfortunately - the system was not maintained by anyone. We don't know who installed it in order to get the engineer code (the default doesn't seem to work so I assume it was changed when installed). Thankfully the default master code worked so I was able to reset most of the errors (mainly from PIR/door sensors that had dead batteries). The only issue left is the siren box which is triggering as soon as I put new batteries in. I assume I need the engineer's code in order to reset the error (I tried with master's code with no luck).

The manual claims engineer's code can be reset if the NVM is not locked. How can I tell if that's the case? Will anything go wrong if I still attempt to reset it with NVM locked or will it just do nothing?

FWIW, the keypad shows "Radio Conf Fail" error for siren box zone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to take this to PM if the information is too sensitive for public.

Cheers!

You can't tell. If it's locked you have a brick.

Engineer code may reset it but may clear with user code if you resolve the issue, take the box down and bring it near to the controls then try to clear.

Make sure you are using the correct lithium batteries. If your not sure best to get an installer that fits Texecom to inspect and resolve.

Thanks for the reply! I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries as per recommendations so they should be ok.

It looks like the previous owner was fed up with the siren and took out one of the (now dead) batteries to silence it. It's frustrating because we actually paid him extra for the system - since it's all mounted I thought it's going to be easier than buying new set and setting it up myself.

So if I understand correctly, if I try to load factory defaults with NVM locked will it brick the PCB board permanently?

I'm not sure if this gives any clues, but once I was able to clear the "Zone Tamper" error for siren box from the keypad with master code when it was going off (the "Radio Conf Fail" error was persisting though so probably that's why it was sounding the alarm?). I'm not sure if that means the siren can be sorted by master too?

Would Wintex software help me in this situation - happy to get the cable to get this sorted as long as it's a viable solution.

Cheers!

Edited by keymx

Something that should be checked at purchase, records of regular service are vital evidence; otherwise it's easy to make a system look working.

Will clear the programming with no way to reprogram. Wintex needs the code to login otherwise it would be an exploit.

Radio Conf Fail just means the device is missing hasn't polled within the polling timer, which it will with the battery out.

1 hour ago, keymx said:

Thanks for the reply! I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries as per recommendations so they should be ok.

It looks like the previous owner was fed up with the siren and took out one of the (now dead) batteries to silence it. It's frustrating because we actually paid him extra for the system - since it's all mounted I thought it's going to be easier than buying new set and setting it up myself.

So if I understand correctly, if I try to load factory defaults with NVM locked will it brick the PCB board permanently?

I'm not sure if this gives any clues, but once I was able to clear the "Zone Tamper" error for siren box from the keypad with master code when it was going off (the "Radio Conf Fail" error was persisting though so probably that's why it was sounding the alarm?). I'm not sure if that means the siren can be sorted by master too?

Would Wintex software help me in this situation - happy to get the cable to get this sorted as long as it's a viable solution.

Cheers!

Sounds to me you will be like previous owner , won't spend on it, and get a texecom engineer in, hence the problem with bell and anything else , either way you need to pay someone to reset it do something for you 

If you load defaults it won't brick it no , but you will lose all information and start from scratch , so aswell as whatever faults still exist , a load new ones will appear 

Your probably thinking you can just buy a new panel and do it yourself , well good luck with programming it , it isn't the easiest of panels to work with if you don't know what your doing

Just being honest get a texe pro to help you , it will be worth it , or try loading defaults and hopefully within 6months it will be working how you want it to, paid extra for system , used unserviced 

Edited by al-yeti

2 hours ago, keymx said:

We bought a house

house alarm few hundred quid, house quite a lot more....

when you brought the house you should have ensured you had report at the vendors cost that the alarm was maintained 

1 hour ago, keymx said:

I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries as per recommendations so they should be ok.

I think there a bit shite...

Mr? Veritas God

1 hour ago, keymx said:

if the NVM is "locked" the code remains the whatever the pervious co. programmed it as...

any 1/2 decent co. could probably sort something out ..

Mr? Veritas God

Thanks for all the replies, very informative!

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Something that should be checked at purchase, records of regular service are vital evidence; otherwise it's easy to make a system look working.

The previous owner used it unserviced, he disclosed it at the time of the purchase. According to him it was just a matter of replacing the batteries so at the time I didn't think anything of it as I didn't know much about the system. However, he didn't mention that the engineer code is changed (and tbh I doubt he knew about it, probably whoever installed it for him did it as a rule of thumb and just left him with the master code). We inherited this problem so now have to deal with it.

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Your probably thinking you can just buy a new panel and do it yourself , well good luck with programming it , it isn't the easiest of panels to work with if you don't know what your doing

I'm not too scared of reprogramming it if that's a possiblity. I can deal with more arcane technical things (and tbh I prefer to know all the ins and outs, especially when it comes to things installed in my own place, if in future I'd like to expand the system with more zones and sensors, I'd like to be able do it myself). Being a software engineer I always try to find a solution to the problem and it's fun to find out how things work (learned plenty about the system already).

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

I think there a bit *****...

Happy to learn about better ones - please send recommendations.

I noticed that there's "Enable Engineer" option in the user menu but AFAICT it doesn't seem to change anything after enabling - what's the purpose if this?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, keymx said:

Thanks for all the replies, very informative!

The previous owner used it unserviced, he disclosed it at the time of the purchase. According to him it was just a matter of replacing the batteries so at the time I didn't think anything of it as I didn't know much about the system. However, he didn't mention that the engineer code is changed (and tbh I doubt he knew about it, probably whoever installed it for him did it as a rule of thumb and just left him with the master code). We inherited this problem so now have to deal with it.

I'm not too scared of reprogramming it if that's a possiblity. I can deal with more arcane technical things (and tbh I prefer to know all the ins and outs, especially when it comes to things installed in my own place, if in future I'd like to expand the system with more zones and sensors, I'd like to be able do it myself). Being a software engineer I always try to find a solution to the problem and it's fun to find out how things work (learned plenty about the system already).

Happy to learn about better ones - please send recommendations.

I noticed that there's "Enable Engineer" option in the user menu but AFAICT it doesn't seem to change anything after enabling - what's the purpose if this?

Cheers!

Ok software engineer now makes more sense 

Look if your really want to do it just do it , probably mean you won't have a working alarm for a while , however you could buy another panel and keep devices if the old one is locked and work it out on the bench 

However many a software engineer do funny things to alarms lol 

Yes and the concern is if a panel can be easily undone it's going to be. We need to accept its good that a panel can't easily be defeated. There will be a test case at some point. I feel it's best that no controls can be reset. Let's leave that to verisure and the DIY market. Professional Security devices should be secure. 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

An unserviced alarm is neither use nor ornament, it's a service based industry. Having it maintained is part of the deal to making sure everything works when you need it and will not disturb everyone in the early hours.

They are not consumer products you can't just pop batteries in and out of them and either would you want them to be. Consumer products are generally junk and easily defeatable.

Programming knowledge is all part of the system design, which is all part of knowing what is required for correct operation. You can't learn to be an alarm installer from reading the manual it's a guide.

It's general practice and part of the standards that the installer wouldn't disclose the engineering code, this is to protect any liability from a user messing with the system.

As far as end users and installers are concerned if it's locked you have no access to reprogram it, if you default it you have cleared the programming with no way to reprogram it. It's even more useless depending on how usable it is now.

Have you done what I suggested yet?

Enable Engineer is for the user to allow the engineer access for a limited amount of time, normally the engineer code will not allow access without the user code first.

On 19/03/2022 at 22:52, al-yeti said:

However many a software engineer do funny things to alarms lol 

Yes, funny things like connecting it to a computer, quickly writing a communication program and cracking the UDL and engineer's code. I just managed to do all of those things so there's that. ?

Point of this excercise was that I've already paid for the system, wanted to use it as is without buying a new board, and also learn how it works. Now with Wintex access and engineer's code I have full control which I'm happy about - it finally feels like I'm the real owner of the device and hope to learn system configuration further.

On 20/03/2022 at 08:41, sixwheeledbeast said:

An unserviced alarm is neither use nor ornament, it's a service based industry

I am OK with maintaining the system periodically myself. Maybe for average user paying for that service is fine but not for me - as said before, among other reasons I prefer to keep an eye on sensitive things at my place personally (same thing goes with installing physical locks, cameras, etc.).

You can't learn to be an alarm installer from reading the manual it's a guide.

That's why I'm here and happy to learn about those things. About a week ago I had no idea how this works at all, mainly because that knowledge was never needed for me, but now I feel I learned a ton within a week (which was real fun tbh). I understand why most of the replies tried to persuade me to call a professional and I generally agree with this sentiment when it comes to average user.

Anyhow, I'm still left with the siren box problem:

Have you done what I suggested yet?

I haven't taken down the siren box yet. The problem is its location which is very high, right below the gutter. When replacing the batteries I was barely able to reach it and open/close the compartment with them. I hope I could reconnect it with the main unit without taking it down? What would be the correct procedure to do so? FWIW, I can now provide more details from Wintex to maybe give more clues about the problem with it.

Cheers!

37 minutes ago, keymx said:

I haven't taken down the siren box yet. The problem is its location which is very high, right below the gutter. When replacing the batteries I was barely able to reach it and open/close the compartment with them. I hope I could reconnect it with the main unit without taking it down? 

All the radio devices are bit "meh"

Move it to where you can safely get to it

Mr? Veritas God

As I have already said take it down and get it working adjacent the controls. it needs to be sited where you can access it anyway.

The thing is most of the trade members here have seen all this before, new members posting for months and not getting any further.

We have no idea on someone's skill set, there is no persuading it's the best option depending on how much you value your security.

You can't learn to be an installer here either, people can only give you some guidance based on assumptions.

15 hours ago, keymx said:

Yes, funny things like connecting it to a computer, quickly writing a communication program and cracking the UDL and engineer's code. I just managed to do all of those things so there's that. ?

e full control which I'm happy about - it finally feels like I'm the real owner of the device and hope to learn system configuration further.

Are you saying , you don't feel like you own a device unless you have access to factory settings , so you have this with your tv , washing machine , car , and so on ???

Thought so , 

I am confused why your here , I mean you cracked everything now, done deal , sorted , security done , 

You finished it ?

16 hours ago, keymx said:

Point of this excercise was that I've already paid for the system, wanted to use it as is without buying a new board, and also learn how it works. Now with Wintex access and engineer's code I have full control which I'm happy about - it finally feels like I'm the real owner of the device and hope to learn system configuration further.

I am OK with maintaining the system periodically myself. Maybe for average user paying for that service is fine but not for me - as said before, among other reasons I prefer to keep an eye on sensitive things at my place personally (same thing goes with installing physical locks, cameras, etc.).

That's why I'm here and happy to learn about those things. About a week ago I had no idea how this works at all, mainly because that knowledge was never needed for me, but now I feel I learned a ton within a week (which was real fun tbh). I understand why most of the replies tried to persuade me to call a professional and I generally agree with this sentiment when it comes to average user.

Anyhow, I'm still left with the siren box problem:

I haven't taken down the siren box yet. The problem is its location which is very high, right below the gutter. When replacing the batteries I was barely able to reach it and open/close the compartment with them. I hope I could reconnect it with the main unit without taking it down? What would be the correct procedure to do so? FWIW, I can now provide more details from Wintex to maybe give more clues about the problem with it.

Cheers!

Connect computer to a platform lift , no need to crack codes , just get lift to take you up to bell box , you can get from hss

Or alarm man will do with ladders wood pallets of doom and bucket full of tools 

59 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Bit concerning it was that easy to get the codes and default it though?

One thing you guys have taught me is how many come on the forum and blag , as resident blagger I would say  more like panel unlocked 

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

Not that hard for any panel manufacturer if you know what your doing...?

9 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

I would say more like panel unlocked 

Likely, why you need to continue on to crack the engineers code if you have UDL access is beyond me.

On 24/03/2022 at 16:53, james.wilson said:

There is some sort of ruling, re code of the day or something or other, to do with the new cyber essentials bollooox. Ian keeps waffling on about you have to now make engineer codes dedicated to a site 

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PSE said:

It’s been a while,

Thought I’d pop in and see what’s going on

This one caught my eye, 

Interesting comments on the Premier engineer lock and being able to write a program to extract the required codes, really ok lol.  Elite panels are the easiest thing to get into even if locked, it can be done with software and programmer but can also be done without. Never scrap a locked elite panel.. lol, 5 mins and back up and running.

So the texecom lock was just a wink to approved companies? I couldnt install a product that wouldn't protect the companies ip. 

Welcome back btw

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.