Security Installer Community

Optima 2 Plus Alarm - External Bell Box and Strobe

backofthenet

It probably says it wants 240v to

Ā 

As a side note I was working with an IT engineer today who was replacing switches. They were 4 Yr old but end of life so being replaced. Nothing is expected to last as long as IA gear it appears

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

6 hours ago, james.wilson said:

It probably says it wants 240v to

Ā 

As a side note I was working with an IT engineer today who was replacing switches. They were 4 Yr old but end of life so being replaced. Nothing is expected to last as long as IA gear it appears

Ā 

heating controls & IA, are normally the oldest things in the house....

Ā 

then everyone got a hive!

Mr?Ā Veritas God

Got to say - I Know nothing about alarm systems but IĀ am impressed that something 30 years old that has not really been maintained looks like it is in good working order. OK the outside bells were toast but they have had the elements hitting them since 1994.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Also although I did replace the PIR's all round (mainly due to decorating and the old ones had gone that cream colour that shows age) I do think the original PIR's were better than what I have replaced them with.

Ā 

Does the Optima 2 Plus have a good reputation in the Industry?

I have no issue with leaving kit in if it's fit for purpose and well looked after. Most Optima's I find can't charge the battery properly after 10 years, even tho the system "works".

Most electronic tat in houses now have some manufactured obsolescence and people seem to except that at the time and move on.

Wired alarm systems don't suffer from that, much like LV wiring. Often the only reason people have a rewire is it's found to be unsafe during works or EICR.

Downtime in network infra can cost more than the kit so is considered disposable after say 4 years.Ā 

Ā 

Part of the issue is people aren't told about service requirements for alarms but also older alarm systems would still operate for years with no fault on the display until there is a power cut or whatever.

Battery boiled away years ago, bell has faulty piezos, sensors wouldn't detect an elephant on a trampoline... as long as the entry and exit tone sounds right, to the customer it's fine.

Did put new battery in - old one was disconnected and past it's useful life anyway - suspect it was orginal.

Ā 

Also done all the tests including real life tests and the PIR's / Door sensors seem to activate when intruder detectedĀ 

Ā 

haven't "real life" checked every PIR just the obvious ones but it's wearing a bit thin with her indoors now so one to finish once she is out.

2 hours ago, backofthenet said:

Got to say - I Know nothing about alarm systems but IĀ am impressed that something 30 years old that has not really been maintained looks like it is in good working order.

Ā 

err the pcb is knacked....

Mr?Ā Veritas God

22 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

So you had the multimeter out and got all the voltage, current and charging rate checks?

It's alright throwing a new battery in, but who says it's going to charge or takeover properly in a power cut.

Next Job on the list ?