Security Installer Community

Hi all, I'm wondering if I can call on your advice, my ademco accord8 is or was still going strong until whilst doing some diy, I damaged the 8 core cable that goes to the keypads, and also splits off to the upstairs pir and bell box.

Ive repaired the damage to the cable, and whilst the main unit still stayed on throughout, the keypads on both doors have remain unpowered. I'm assuming It has blown a fuse to the keypads.

But how can I access the main unit without being able to turn the unit into safe mode by using the engineers code (have access to full engineers manual and default codes), without working keypads.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

33 minutes ago, Jim Mac said:

Hi all, I'm wondering if I can call on your advice, my ademco accord8 is or was still going strong until whilst doing some diy, I damaged the 8 core cable that goes to the keypads, and also splits off to the upstairs pir and bell box.

Ive repaired the damage to the cable, and whilst the main unit still stayed on throughout, the keypads on both doors have remain unpowered. I'm assuming It has blown a fuse to the keypads.

But how can I access the main unit without being able to turn the unit into safe mode by using the engineers code (have access to full engineers manual and default codes), without working keypads.

Watch out for mains voltage

Take cover off and go for gold 

8 hours ago, Jim Mac said:

you wont be able to, but if went it tamper before and you havnt reset it, it may be locked out so wont go off anyway

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Norman you were correct, When I checked the keypad fuse it had blown, but when I swapped the bell fuse with keypad fuse, the keypad came back on and the bellbox sounded, so unit is fine, I just need to source a 500mA 20mmx5mm anti-surge, quick blow fuse

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

How did you stop it from sounding in the first place if you chopped the keypad wires?  If  it never sounded my best guess would be its probably not the keypad fuse, its fried the CPU

It wasnt armed, cpu is fine as swapped bell fuse to keypad fuse which had blown, and alarm operates fine, just neen to get replacement bell fuse

If possible I'd look to make sure that the cable is not going to short again. If you've damaged it with the drill and are confident enough I'd look at maybe putting a junction box in where the damage is but you'd need to isolate the whole cable from the panel before doing it. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 hours ago, norman said:

If possible I'd look to make sure that the cable is not going to short again. If you've damaged it with the drill and are confident enough I'd look at maybe putting a junction box in where the damage is but you'd need to isolate the whole cable from the panel before doing it. 

I cut back the damaged cable, and spliced in a replacement section of cable, soldering the ends together before using terminal blocks.

I have full confidence in the repaired section

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

And theres your answer right there 

Sorry Peter, youve lost me a bit, when swapping the fuses, the keypad became operational but need to replace the fuse thats vacant for bell fuse

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

But if your bell fuse is blown your bell should have sounded for 20 mins when it blew

Just now, Jim Mac said:

Sorry Peter, youve lost me a bit, when swapping the fuses, the keypad became operational but need to replace the fuse thats vacant for bell fuse

11 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

But what should have happened when he removed the bell fuse?

What you would expect to have happen, the outside bell box, activated until the internal batteries in both of them ran down, and hence why I need to get a fuse to replace the bell fuse

2 minutes ago, Jim Mac said:

What you would expect to have happen, the outside bell box, activated until the internal batteries in both of them ran down, and hence why I need to get a fuse to replace the bell fuse

I expected the bell to sound, but it seems that it did. but you omitted to tell us 

7 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

I expected the bell to sound, but it seems that it did. but you omitted to tell us 

Until I swapped the fuses, I had no idea if it was fuses, pcb or cpu. When I spotted the blown keypad fuse, I feared that you may have been right about the pcb, but when I removed the bell fuse, and the bell boxes sounded, I knew that fuse was good, so inserting it in the keypad slot, to see if they were ok, proved it was just a blown fuse and everything was ok, now all I need is to locate a replacement fuse

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Lol he didn't read it all again

5 hours ago, Jim Mac said:

Norman you were correct, When I checked the keypad fuse it had blown, but when I swapped the bell fuse with keypad fuse, the keypad came back on and the bellbox sounded, so unit is fine, I just need to source a 500mA 20mmx5mm anti-surge, quick blow fuse

Like here pete