Jump to content
Security Installer Community
Gordon Smith

Understanding GD addresses.

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I'm just wondering about the amount of hardware you can add to a GD-C048 with the available address line.

 

The instructions say I can have 8 keypads (3 prox), 4 RIOs and 4 RF RIOs

It seems you can add lots of stuff but much of it is limited by the rotary address switches and there appears to be some overlap.

 

Is a keypad on address 2 the same as a RIO on address 2?

 

Basically, I have 3 keypads, 0,1 and 2, along with 3 RIOs and 1 RF RIO which must take addresses 2-5 which means, if they work as the same address, then one must overlap with a keypad, also the RF RIO tried to take up 2 bunches of addresses and in fact keeps appearing as 102x and 103x no matter what I set its switch to be, and why is there a gap between 5-B which I can't seem to use.

 

In short, do I need a 96 or above to run 1xTC(prox), 1xMK7(prox), 1xMK8(prox), 3xRIO, 1xRF RIO? It all gets a bit confusing :)

 

Cheers,

Gordon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gordon Smith said:

 

 

In short, do I need a 96 or above to run 1xTC(prox), 1xMK7(prox), 1xMK8(prox), 3xRIO, 1xRF RIO? It all gets a bit confusing :)

 

Cheers,

Gordon.

 

No the 48 would work , sure experts might agree 

 

But if it was choice I would buy the 96 anyway , depending where and how you buy it , not much in the price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The addresses for each device type map to different addresses on the rs485 bus. So keypad at 0 and Rio at 0 have different addresses on the bus, so don't clash.

 

The RF portal rotary address is not the virtual Rio addresses that run at 102/103. You can disable or change the virtual Rio addresses in the RF portal menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, al-yeti said:

No the 48 would work , sure experts might agree 

 

But if it was choice I would buy the 96 anyway , depending where and how you buy it , not much in the price

 

Thanks,

I've got my eye on a couple of PCBs on the bay which might go for a few pennies or there is a guy in Glasgow selling full new ADT 96s for £50, pretty sure there's not too much difference in the ADT version.

 

Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GalaxyGuy said:

The addresses for each device type map to different addresses on the rs485 bus. So keypad at 0 and Rio at 0 have different addresses on the bus, so don't clash.

 

The RF portal rotary address is not the virtual Rio addresses that run at 102/103. You can disable or change the virtual Rio addresses in the RF portal menu.

 

Thanks GG looks like I need to do a bit of digging in the menus, I shouldn't need 16 RF addresses anyway as most stuff is wired.

 

Might get somewhere now :)

 

Gordon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the ADT one will most likely be stolen, ironic really. 

  • Thanks 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 18:57, GalaxyGuy said:

The addresses for each device type map to different addresses on the rs485 bus. So keypad at 0 and Rio at 0 have different addresses on the bus, so don't clash.

 

The RF portal rotary address is not the virtual Rio addresses that run at 102/103. You can disable or change the virtual Rio addresses in the RF portal menu.

Got gd96 for sale I know a man who wants one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gordon Smith said:

 

Thanks,

I've got my eye on a couple of PCBs on the bay which might go for a few pennies or there is a guy in Glasgow selling full new ADT 96s for £50, pretty sure there's not too much difference in the ADT version.

 

Gordon.

Careful tho many with faults if your buying off eBay or something , test it well , see what firmware version it has , somewhere firmwares like 7 and others were revised quite quickly due to bugs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, norman said:

Apart from the ADT one will most likely be stolen, ironic really. 

 

Wow, I know ebay might have some shady characters but I never imagined this sort of gear would be dodgy.

It's the ADT one which is new, I would have hoped the 2nd hand PCBs would have come from upgrades or new alarm co. taking over and installing their own stuff.

 

Strewth :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Careful tho many with faults if your buying off eBay or something , test it well , see what firmware version it has , somewhere firmwares like 7 and others were revised quite quickly due to bugs 

 

My C048 is V6.93, one of the boards I noticed was 7.03, others don't specify.

 

Once I get a chance to re-jig the addresses then if I can get the current system to work with the above RIOs then I would imagine I should have all the capacity I need, I have no end of inputs spare but the outputs are the problem, especially the RIO ones which are remote to the house.

 

Thanks again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gordon Smith said:

 

Wow, I know ebay might have some shady characters but I never imagined this sort of gear would be dodgy.

It's the ADT one which is new, I would have hoped the 2nd hand PCBs would have come from upgrades or new alarm co. taking over and installing their own stuff.

 

Strewth :)

 

Mostly off the back of a van excess stock , ADT can't control there stock....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 18:37, Gordon Smith said:

Hello,

I'm just wondering about the amount of hardware you can add to a GD-C048 with the available address line.

 

The instructions say I can have 8 keypads (3 prox), 4 RIOs and 4 RF RIOs

It seems you can add lots of stuff but much of it is limited by the rotary address switches and there appears to be some overlap.

 

Is a keypad on address 2 the same as a RIO on address 2?

 

Basically, I have 3 keypads, 0,1 and 2, along with 3 RIOs and 1 RF RIO which must take addresses 2-5 which means, if they work as the same address, then one must overlap with a keypad, also the RF RIO tried to take up 2 bunches of addresses and in fact keeps appearing as 102x and 103x no matter what I set its switch to be, and why is there a gap between 5-B which I can't seem to use.

 

In short, do I need a 96 or above to run 1xTC(prox), 1xMK7(prox), 1xMK8(prox), 3xRIO, 1xRF RIO? It all gets a bit confusing :)

 

Cheers,

Gordon.

 

 

22F1DB42-CBA0-4740-9B86-E8F6EA18274D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could if they wanted, they could also audit parts as every part booked out (excluding consumables) has to be attributed to a contract number. 

 

In the grand scheme of things it's not seen as an issue. 


Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, norman said:

They could if they wanted, they could also audit parts as every part booked out (excluding consumables) has to be attributed to a contract number. 

 

probably some kit gets booked to the site but never fitted  ?

 

programming fault rather than hardware issue...


Mr:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes it's easily circumnavigated, but it all depends on how far you want to audit, i.e. checking the site for the part supposedly installed etc. Tyco used to have an investigation dept that looked at things like theft and fraud. 


Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, norman said:

Tyco used to have an investigation dept that looked at things like theft and fraud. 

 

cool, can they fix me up with a container of new dummy sounders ?


Mr:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, norman said:

Tyco used to have an investigation dept that looked at things like theft and fraud

 

Had the best ever xmas parties, annual training away weeks in Magaluf, always paid by paypal...


So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.