Security Installer Community

Vista Smart disc 10

Eclipse

I have recently picked up a job to upgrade a business site cctv system. The site is remotely monitored by a 3rd party company. There is a Vista Smart Disc 10 on top of the recorder that is used by the monitoring company for remote viewing and control of PTZ etc.

My question is: Has this device been surpassed by DVR’s /NVR’s from the likes of Hikvision that use Hik Connect and IVMS or are these devices still needed for professional remote  monitoring?

thanks

Greg

Solid transmission units, I much prefer them over Adpro, tho both Heitel and Adpro are owned by Honeywell now.

Old ones are CVBS only, newer ones have the option for CVBS or IP (no HDoC options).

They are pretty expensive units so have been going out of favor for cheaper BS8418 compliant alarm transmission methods which are bundled into kit now like Immix.

You also may have to consider that the Smartdisc provides a bit of redundancy in case the main DVR/NVR fails. Also they can be integrated into other systems and used for arm/disarm allowing you to conform to BS8418 without other kit.

It's all down to the spec of the job (which most often will be tied to the customers insurance) and what alarm methods your monitoring centre of choice accept.

I also agree but they are becoming less common. Had a site where they stole the DVR, ARC denied they had any activations. They didn't take the SmartDisc which even tho it was dumped from the rack and kicked around the floor had some decent video evidence and all the log information of alarms and images to the ARC.

5 hours ago, james.wilson said:

I would always use a tx. Had a situation recently when an arc denied they had any alarms from a site after a fuel theft. The adpro log proved there was alarms and images sent etc.

Was arc liable?

10 hours ago, Eclipse said:

I have recently picked up a job to upgrade a business site cctv system. The site is remotely monitored by a 3rd party company. There is a Vista Smart Disc 10 on top of the recorder that is used by the monitoring company for remote viewing and control of PTZ etc.

My question is: Has this device been surpassed by DVR’s /NVR’s from the likes of Hikvision that use Hik Connect and IVMS or are these devices still needed for professional remote  monitoring?

thanks

Greg

Maybe you should be asking the arc that question rather than us