Security Installer Community

Texecom Wireless Smoke Detector Problem

David N

We have a Texecom Premier Elite system linked to a Control4 system and to the monitoring company.  

We are getting repeat false alarms from the smoke / fire alarms.  This is a new thing after 7 years of happily working.  The change is that these sensors are now installed in a newly built orangery, which has a fair bit of glass and does heat up a lot. We wonder if this is the issue.  

Has anyone experienced this or have any solutions please?  The fire brigade are being very patient with us but we are wasting their time (we will send them a couple of apology crates of beer when all is done). 

Thanks 

Edited by datadiffusion

And don't forget Texe smokes are combined smoke AND heat by default (I am certain...?)

My loft was 42 degrees yesterday, and that was with extra vents I fitted last year, and in the evening...

1 hour ago, David N said:

The fire brigade are being very patient with us

*** me round here that would on balance of propabilities have been a retained callout and I imagine the guys and gals slightly less freindly...

Recently someone in a country hotel thoght it would be a good idea to use the fire alarm to summon reception when they drunkenly lost keys and returned at 3am.

My retained mate said one of the guys had to be held back and was lucky not more was made of it....

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

2 hours ago, David N said:

We have a Texecom Premier Elite system linked to a Control4 system and to the monitoring company.  

We are getting repeat false alarms from the smoke / fire alarms.  This is a new thing after 7 years of happily working.  The change is that these sensors are now installed in a newly built orangery, which has a fair bit of glass and does heat up a lot. We wonder if this is the issue.  

Has anyone experienced this or have any solutions please?  The fire brigade are being very patient with us but we are wasting their time (we will send them a couple of apology crates of beer when all is done). 

Thanks 

Can you select then to be smoke only ? And heat only and fit to better locations for each

Pete , beams??? Depends on how it's setup no? 

2 hours ago, David N said:

Thanks 

Fire brigade will more like downgrade your attendance ?

I would ask your installer to quote something better , reality is "weather" your willing to pay for it or not 

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

And don't forget Texe smokes are combined smoke AND heat by default (I am certain...?)

My loft was 42 degrees yesterday, and that was with extra vents I fitted last year, and in the evening...

*** me round here that would on balance of propabilities have been a retained callout and I imagine the guys and gals slightly less freindly...

Recently someone in a country hotel thoght it would be a good idea to use the fire alarm to summon reception when they drunkenly lost keys and returned at 3am.

My retained mate said one of the guys had to be held back and was lucky not more was made of it....

This is what has confused me.  The premier elite are meant to be smart and so just heat or just smoke shouldn’t trigger them as I understand it.  But it doesn’t seem to work that way.  

We reused the smoke alarms from pre-building works but don’t think that they have been updated by Texecom in the meanwhile. 

2 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Never a good idea to fit smokes in a orangey, especially second hand ones, I would use a smoke beam.

What does your installer suggest?

Installer told us that the Texecom system isn’t very good....5+ or so years after they recommended and installed it.  

8 minutes ago, David N said:

This is what has confused me.  The premier elite are meant to be smart

The control panel is able to diferentiate between two different signals

FIRE

NO FIRE

thats it, there is no fuzzy logic, no special programming, the smoke/heat sensors are merely a glorified switch.

A 7 year old head, even if it has been stored very well during buildings works, is still a head that is 3 years away from needing replacement.

I've had these heads suddenly start to FA at around this age and nothing short of replacing them would make them stop.

I do hope your monitoring station are currently phoning you on recieving a fire before dispatch?

16 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Can you select then to be smoke only ?

No, there are no option switches. I am certain the detector is smoke OR heat, always enabled as it were, the OH is described as a 'Optical & Heat Multisensor' type.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

8 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Fire brigade will more like downgrade your attendance ?

I would ask your installer to quote something better , reality is "weather" your willing to pay for it or not 

Would pay yes.  Wife and kids in the house and rather paranoid. What do you suggest?

4 minutes ago, David N said:

Would pay yes.  Wife and kids in the house and rather paranoid. What do you suggest?

Does the orangery need protection??

I've had recent experience of landlords adding detection to all sorts of unsuitable rooms, on the flawed thinking that 'more is better = safer', causing false alarms, causing the tenant to go around disabling ALL the alarms out of fear of another 3am wakeup...

3 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

The control panel is able to diferentiate between two different signals

FIRE

NO FIRE

thats it, there is no fuzzy logic, no special programming, the smoke/heat sensors are merely a glorified switch.

A 7 year old head, even if it has been stored very well during buildings works, is still a head that is 3 years away from needing replacement.

I've had these heads suddenly start to FA at around this age and nothing short of replacing them would make them stop.

I do hope your monitoring station are currently phoning you on recieving a fire before dispatch?

No, there are no option switches.

Does the orangery need protection??

Orangery has the kitchen in it, utility room and pantry off it.  Dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, 5 fridges/freezers etc.  I think it’s the most likely seat of a fire.