Security Installer Community

Cables cut by other trades

I'm sure you've all probably had this before.

You go to site, complete 1st fix.

By the time you return to do 2nd fix, you find cables cut.

I'm pretty sure it was by accident but if you are working for a fit-out / electrical contractor, what is the correct course of action.

Normally we just report it to the site supervisor and end up re-running the cable at our cost.

But should we be more forceful and insist they pay? Is there a particular form to fill out?

Would be great to get your thoughts.

53 minutes ago, JasonOfOz said:

I'm sure you've all probably had this before.

You go to site, complete 1st fix.

By the time you return to do 2nd fix, you find cables cut.

I'm pretty sure it was by accident but if you are working for a fit-out / electrical contractor, what is the correct course of action.

Normally we just report it to the site supervisor and end up re-running the cable at our cost.

But should we be more forceful and insist they pay? Is there a particular form to fill out?

Would be great to get your thoughts.

I charge extra for visit in-between , but then that can be a mission to lol

Never redo at my own cost

It's depends on what the deal is with the contractor and how you have charged for the job.

If you have charged for the whole project then it would be expected to be "made good" as part of the project, within reason like any other trades on site.

There should be a reasonable margin on a job to cover any cock ups by yourself or more likely other trades.

Having a first and second fix as separate projects would be different but it's best to have this sort of thing agreed before hand so your extra time would be covered at least.

You also have to consider how proving who caused the damage, pointing fingers and being forceful may influence chances of getting any work from them again.

It's possible all the trades know each other and give each other work, word travels fast and your unlikely to see them again.

I always charge hourly for remedial work if the damage is down to other trades that I dont normally work with, but this is gone through explicitly with the client at the quotation stage.

There are a couple of building companies who I work with quite frequently, and if its something one of their guys has damaged i tell them what needs to be rerun and their sparky deals with it and I dont charge, almost never happens with those guys though, usually its because the client has changed there mind on where stuff is going, and the cables end up too short.

On the flip side I am ultra careful, and I have drummed into my guys repeatedly to be extremely careful around other trades work. A lot of the things that happen are down to careless cunts with a dont give a **** attitude.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It's depends on what the deal is with the contractor and how you have charged for the job.

If you have charged for the whole project then it would be expected to be "made good" as part of the project, within reason like any other trades on site.

There should be a reasonable margin on a job to cover any **** ups by yourself or more likely other trades.

Having a first and second fix as separate projects would be different but it's best to have this sort of thing agreed before hand so your extra time would be covered at least.

You also have to consider how proving who caused the damage, pointing fingers and being forceful may influence chances of getting any work from them again.

It's possible all the trades know each other and give each other work, word travels fast and your unlikely to see them again.

We generally price for the projects as a package 1st fix / 2nd fix and commissioning.

But you are right about the relationships on site.

Just wanted to know what the normal protocol was.

Might just flag it up that it happened and we sorted it out.

11 hours ago, petrolhead said:

I always charge hourly for remedial work if the damage is down to other trades that I dont normally work with, but this is gone through explicitly with the client at the quotation stage.

There are a couple of building companies who I work with quite frequently, and if its something one of their guys has damaged i tell them what needs to be rerun and their sparky deals with it and I dont charge, almost never happens with those guys though, usually its because the client has changed there mind on where stuff is going, and the cables end up too short.

On the flip side I am ultra careful, and I have drummed into my guys repeatedly to be extremely careful around other trades work. A lot of the things that happen are down to careless cunts with a dont give a **** attitude.

Yep - i hear ya!

On a related note, has anyone ever been requested to do "integrity testing" following first fix?

I know it is something that data people do but we don't tend to do it and really only figure it out once we start terminating the equipment - which i guess, could be too late.

What are common practices when it comes to testing cables?

55 minutes ago, JasonOfOz said:

On a related note, has anyone ever been requested to do "integrity testing" following first fix?

I know it is something that data people do but we don't tend to do it and really only figure it out once we start terminating the equipment - which i guess, could be too late.

Ohms test? Or TDR every cable but charge nicely for that if they need it

17 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Ohms test? Or TDR every cable but charge nicely for that if they need it

I have no idea what sort of test actually....???

By your answer @al-yeti, i guess that it's not a common request for security cabling?

1 hour ago, JasonOfOz said:

100v ir test if it's for alarm cables 500v for fire cables and as for charging don't listen to yeti you'd get laughed at and kicked off site,its standard practice 

3 hours ago, goncall said:

100v ir test if it's for alarm cables 500v for fire cables and as for charging don't listen to yeti you'd get laughed at and kicked off site,its standard practice 

Lol , wiki TDR excellent