Security Installer Community

Solar Power Solution for CCTV???

Hi all

I'm currently looking at a CCTV design for a cemetery. Unfortunately it'e one of the edge of town cemeteries as a result of the churchyard full to the brim, and therefore theres no electricity. 

The customer would like a wireless battery system, but for what they want it for I don't think its going to work. They do have a shed which the NVR is likely to be located, and its got a decent sized roof for a solar panel, so I'm looking at a Solar solution to provide a 12V supply with a battery capacity for 18-24hrs backup. I'm aiming to use a low power NVR with built in POE, or a separate switch depending on power usage (seems like every Watt is going to count), and an LED monitor for playback. Currently got a couple of companies I want to contact for prices and designs, but thought I would see if anyone here has done anything similar, and if so who they used, and any feedback of the system.

Many thanks

Luke

Won't work. Power drain will be such that the power kit will cost £££££££s to work.

Think of the DVR & HDD pulling at least 1A before you even start on the rest.

Will require regular battery maint and checks to make sure there is enough current going in not to discharge & write off the battery.

All fine as long as someone is prepared to do it, or pay you, or null any warranty if they don't keep it up.

Unless customer is the council with endless budget or you want to be endlessly going back for free,

I'd personally walk away rather than waste time quoting.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking of doing similar. Most poe nvrs need 240v supply, i think i'd use a 12v nvr or dvr without poe and just power the cameras at 12v, one less inefficient power conversion.

when i worked on a few sites that were being surveyed for wind generating sites the wind measurement devices (lidar and ultrasonic anemometers with data logging and a satellite modem) were powered from banks of gel batteries in a bund charged from a few solar panels. The draw at 12v was around 2a and these things were left there for months. I would charge a hefty maintenance fee though.