Security Installer Community

AND THE PANIC STARTS

Hi

The attempt to panic the general public on wireless home security systems has reached  the Daily Mail today  2nd May see article about a major multi nationals  [SAMSUNG] attempt into US home security market  found wanting over its use of an APP to control  the   systems basic operation , they even kindly post a how to  on  you tube  of the university of Michigan carrying out the hack. The headlong rush towards the smart home  all in one box  and mobile apps   needs  to be regulated  before our industry  opens PANDORA'S BOX  and  we allow one way wireless and  poorly encrypted  data  to escape from the diy market  

The   whole electronics industry is  looking for the next monthly subscriber  cash cow, and rightly see's  home security as a target  the idea of a take home a quick fit    plugin box and connected  to the cloud in under 30 mins and charge for the  tech support line as the future and every thing must have  a app to download from the store  so it must work ok because it is a brand name  it only cost  £?to make in china you can stand the control unit on the shelf next to you router  so i hope the daily mail does  have some effect 

hi sorry to alarm you

hyper venting into a paper bag

This home security equipment is sold in the largest electrical / computer chain in he country and is on a price promotion as the ideal way for the public to  cut out the cost of a professional installation  and is plug and play

but on a serious note all our pro wireless kit  can be installed to grade 2  but as we all know  some of it is one way only and cheap or fully encrypted and two way  but is still only  rated at grade 2 most of you have your own personal  favorite manufacture of equipment and we all tend to think if it works why change  but the way forward will be wireless  whether we like it or not and it would benefit from  a defined standard. the reason i pointed out the  piece in the mail is this is the same way the remote keyless entry  car   theft problem started to be reported which is now a major problem  and who reads the small print on the apps we install on our phones  it is amazing how many get full access to sms messages as standard to your contacts emails and

can send your location it is just like posting your bank pin  or password on social media

Edited by petercts

Yeah yeah, well  I have invented a paint that will put everyone out of work, the householder just paints a cross outside their front door and the burglar will go next door, I just need to get it approved by insurance companies and Im off to somewhere warm to have boobies rubbed in my face all day long.

Thats not the point i was trying to make,  once the daily mail starts  to think all wireless alarms might have a problem how will a customer be able to tell   which equipment  will work and is ok and  above all installed to a ssib or nsi standards