Security Installer Community

HMRC and keeping hard copies of VAT invoices

It would seem that you no longer have to keep hard copies of your VAT invoices  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70063-electronic-invoicing/vat-notice-70063-electronic-invoicing#introduction

So long as you comply with the HMRC's rules.

I am about to move premises and I have 10 years worth of invoices in the loft, and the last 6 years of hard copy invoices in filing cabinets downstairs. The expense of having these security shredded by a professional company would be costly. I could burn them on a bomb fire at home but that struck me as a waste, and not very kind to the planet. Any green ideas on how I could recycle them, taking into account they are a data protection risk

I asked HMRC about 10 years ago why an electronic copy of an invoice is not acceptable, and they kept telling me that I must keep the last 6 years hard copy. Think how many trees they would have saved if they had said good idea Mr James I will send out a memo to everyone.

I think they did listern I have just read all that info on the link and my head hurts, But the upshot is they have taken what you said and made a move to electroic, All you :-

As for your waste, it's a tough one as I never trust anyone and always shread and burn old paper work,

My question is what do they do with it once they have shreaded it,

I'd buy a "Departmental Shredder" for few hundred quid & wade though them until the recycling bin is full,

We have a "mixed dry recycling" wheelie bin at work, it pleases me that's its being "recycled" but not still not certain that's being not exported to the 3rd world or burnt at a power station....

Burning waste is probably illegal ? 

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

It's bonfire, unless your predictive text is set to Syrian.

Hire a graduate for a week to shred your waste, pay as you see fit and he/she has something to add to their cv.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.