Security Installer Community

Adt Wired Alarm Phone Over Power-Line

I may be missing something here but why cant you just wire the virgin socket to the bt extensions? Surely theyre not a million miles away?

This would be down two flights of stairs and I really hate cables trailing through the house which is the main reason I am moving the master socket in the first place.

Update following the ADT visit. 

Their recommendation was to upgrade to a wireless system at a price of £249. The problem with this is that with this system I would no longer have the police response I currently have. In order to upgrade to a police response wireless system I would have to shell out a whacking £749 to replicate what I currently have. No way I can justify that.

The system (a domonial) currently works and should it fail it will be ADT's responsibility to repair/replace for free. So the other option is to move the control panel next to the new master socket.

Prices for this are:

£100 call out fee

£52 for 1 hrs labour. 

A saving of £597.

Given that I am more than happy to give my 9 years so far business to another company, what are the chances of them waiving this fee to keep my custom?

Update following the ADT visit.

Their recommendation was to upgrade to a wireless system at a price of £249. The problem with this is that with this system I would no longer have the police response I currently have. In order to upgrade to a police response wireless system I would have to shell out a whacking £749 to replicate what I currently have. No way I can justify that.

The system (a domonial) currently works and should it fail it will be ADT's responsibility to repair/replace for free. So the other option is to move the control panel next to the new master socket.

Prices for this are:

£100 call out fee

£52 for 1 hrs labour.

A saving of £597.

Given that I am more than happy to give my 9 years so far business to another company, what are the chances of them waiving this fee to keep my custom?

What you mean upgrade to wireless system? It's already wireless

What you mean upgrade to wireless system? It's already wireless

Sorry, I keep calling it that because ADT refer to this as a wireless package. I mean a GSM/GPRS based system. The other issue I have with GSM/GPRS is that mobile reception is a little intermittent in my house. 

There is one man... if he can't help, no one can...

post-4216-0-95895900-1452078378_thumb.pn

Seriously though, I wouldn't expect them to do it for free 9 years or not as at the end of the day you want it moved for your own benefit,

it's no real fault of ADTs?

Also I wouldn't assume you'll get a 'free upgrade' if it breaks, they must have warehouses full of 'new old' repair stock or even more sensibly

they get the manufacturer to do it for them many years after they stopped selling it.

Sorry, I keep calling it that because ADT refer to this as a wireless package. I mean a GSM/GPRS based system. The other issue I have with GSM/GPRS is that mobile reception is a little intermittent in my house. 

It'll likely be a multi provider SIM so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands