Security Installer Community

Pivot Attacks Using Dvr's

The last one is the one that really interests me. I've used DVRs to pivot into networks on pen-tests several times now. They are generally not secure and once I am on them, I can use them to attack the rest of the network. No one suspects these little devices of being malicious. Installers don't know networks so can't firewall or partition them. IT won't touch them because they are installer by a third party.

This also interests me from an installer POV too.

I wanted to split this out to keep the other thread on topic.

Do you find a large number of DVR's provide an attack route on to the network?

Basic or Enterprise kit? Any models you can use as an example?

Do you feel it's up to the manufactures to design them better or the installers to have them VLAN'd? etc...

We advise the client of the potential risks and offer a solution. This is either re-configuring there existing routers/switches/firewalls or installing new CIsco kit or if on a budget we'll use smoothwall http://www.smoothwall.org/

For me, keep the network security separate. Its too complicated for a CCTV installer to undertake

Don't forget a single DVR can provide a route onto a network.

Below is an example of a system we've recently installed. Its using a Cisco 3925 service router, with layer 2/3 switch, server blade and application acceleration.

Installed on the blade server is Milestone software for the CCTV (But this could have been a separate DVR plugged into the switch). Data/Voice/CCTV is all separated by VLANs and QOS is used.

post-10574-0-38036800-1448983905_thumb.j

The last one is the one that really interests me. I've used DVRs to pivot into networks on pen-tests several times now. They are generally not secure and once I am on them, I can use them to attack the rest of the network. No one suspects these little devices of being malicious. Installers don't know networks so can't firewall or partition them. IT won't touch them because they are installer by a third party.

This interests me, we used windows based DVRs with software and a after-market firewall/anti virus software. But this is a very expensive DVR in comparison top the cheaper DVR's we also install as budget systems. Most of which use a cloud based remote viewing software, I do worry the fact that there is so many of these recorders out there and it would not be hard for China to upload or write something into there recorders.

Getting in on all levels..

https://www.vtech.com/en/press_release/2015/statement/

al, don't you fit this range of kit?

Well not quite , I used to stick to Honeywell like ADT

Moved with the times to HKC as ADT have no choice but to move to diy visonic kits slapped to the wall in a plug, I did consider visonic but realised its "tat" I think you call it?

House bashing is the way forward eh?........

When I used to sub to Modern Alarms if we did a house it was (nearly) always a substantial house. Now (sadly imo) they have shifted their place in the market. It's now a numbers game imo.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.