Security Installer Community

Observations On Home Alarm Systems.

Am new to the forums :o) Hi!!!

--

Is it me or are all (in my option) home alarms installed without maximum security in mind?

Let me explain; Door Contacts only trigger after the door is open and PIRs only trigger after someone is in the house, shouldn't an Alarm be before an intruder has entered?

For example; my home Alarm is door contacts with Shock Sensors, so if someone is trying to break in with any type of force the Alarm is triggered before entry has been gained. I also have GLX Vipers (shock Sensors) on all Windows and pet friendly PIRs in the home, this allows to Dogs to patrol without triggering the Alarm went we are asleep or out - therefore the perimeter and inside is protected - Isn't this a better & safer option?

Also, I have noticed that people have PIRs upstairs disabled at night so they can go to toilet; this leaves a big hole in the home security does it not?

I have remote keypads for Alarm in both bedrooms - This means no security issue upstairs at night.

As I installed the Alarm myself the total cost was around the same price that some Alarm Companies charges for a basic Alarm - £525.

Am I right in installing my way or over paranoid?

Thanks

Phil

Edited by BarnsleyGeek

I don't think you are being paranoid at all. First and foremost the site experts would probably tell you that before any installation, they carry out a 'risk assessment' which is supposed to consider all eventualities. Having said that, no one can guarantee with 100% certainty that a 'break-in' shall not occur. If there is such a thing as a professional burglar then he will look for a 'weak link' regardless.

I find in several properties that the upstairs can be protected at night precisely with the shock sensors you have mentioned, it is also possible to fit remote keypads in that area should there be a need to move around briefly, this however has obvious disadvantages and may not be a key feature in all cases.

If I could take you back a few years, there was a typical installation method employed by quite a few cowboys called the 'three down-one up' where just the landing was protected by a single pir. Fortunes were made using that system since it was accepted by the home owner in their ignorance that they enjoyed total security. The selling point on this one was "...if a burglar gains entry to say the bathroom, then it is obvious that he is going to use the landing area in order to 'move around' (some logic in that I suppose). So good on you for concentrating on perimeter protection...now what about your garage.

Thanks for the response :)

The Garage (separate from the house) has it's own Alarm with Contact/Shock on the side door, PIR inside and Roller/ Shutter Door Contact at the front.

I have a few week ago, installed CCTV covering front door, back door, side door, front drive, back garden (all wired with tamper circuit to a zone on the House Alarm) and a wireless CCTV Camera in Garage using a 5.8ghz transmitter (encrypted) back to the house. The images are recorded on and off site and as one camera does (very slightly) go over next doors drive, I have added CCTV signs that comply with the DPA, ICO and article 8 of the EU Human Rights act.

The CCTV has full battery backup :)

Ok, all this may sound a little over kill, but my family safety comes first above anything. :)

Thanks

Phil

There is no such thing as 'overkill' when it comes to the security of your loved ones. Are there any draughts or obvious fault possibilities at the garage, you mentioned a pir at that point. Maybe a dual technology would suit you better (combined pir and microwave)although, judging by your set-up you've probably got one there already. How long has the garage control panel been there, purely from a condensation or damp viewpoint. You may as well go the whole hog now and tell the site what panels you are using. Very interesting and congratulations on your forethought.. Welcome to the site by the way.

Is it me or are all (in my option) home alarms installed without maximum security in mind?

Obviously a RA would be done to assess the protection required but this will be balanced against cost.

That is if you are talking about professionally installed systems.

shouldn't an Alarm be before an intruder has entered?

There not an intruder until they enter the premises.

my home Alarm is door contacts with Shock Sensors ...Isn't this a better & safer option?

Possibly, however there are chances of external incidents causing false alarms.

Bird strikes, window cleaners, post(wo)men, pets jumping at doors/windows, all this and more would need to be assessed in the RA.

Any detection of this type would need to be setup correctly as well this takes time, so therefore perimeter protection would be a lot more costly too.

Also, I have noticed that people have PIRs upstairs disabled at night so they can go to toilet; this leaves a big hole in the home security does it not?

Again, all down to risk and the customer. The layout of the property is also something to consider.

This would be a popular option on a low risk property.

Much better to have the downstairs armed than the customer feel "trapped" and not used the system at night.

Am I right in installing my way or over paranoid?

Probably, again this would need an RA to determine. ;)

With having animals you would have to install perimeter protection in some parts of the property anyway.

Ideally, I would install perimeter protection in addition to PIR's. If they get in somehow they could move around freely if you have not sensors in the rooms.

Another thing to consider is monitored systems, they will need two detector types in an area to trigger the police. Therefore, perimeter protection only would be useless in this instance.

[There not an intruder until they enter the premises] - Good Point, They are of course if uninvited Trespassers; this is a gray area unless you have removed "Implied Right of Access" :)

[DPA domestic exemption rules have changed, you need to be registered with the DPA to store any images not on your property] - This is an interesting one, I was aware of changes, but when I contacted them regarding domestic CCTV encroaching on the neighbors land slightly, I was informed as long as I had legal CCTV signs i.e. showing the operators of the CCTV and contact details, this would comply with the DPA, but I will contact them again and confirm this. I am also registered with http://www.whoiswatchingme.org/ 

[How long has the garage control panel been there, purely from a condensation or damp viewpoint] - The Garage is a brick and breeze block one - What I did was place damp course against the wall then wood panel, attach a IP66 compliant metal Box to the wood and installed the Panel in there, it's key locked access and checked regularly.

I will post my full specs for the House Alarm and/or CCTV system if anyone whats it :)

Thanks

Phil

Edited by BarnsleyGeek