Security Installer Community

Scantronic Not Responding After Battery Change

No, newer keypads are square although if you are 100% comfortable with the whole DIY thing, an older 9330 LCD keypad would cover

the exact same space (esp. if the existing keypad was a newer 9827) and work even with a brand new 9561PD or a 9571 9853 etc....

However you would almost certainly be buying that 2nd hand, although new unused ones do turn up on ebay from time to time.

Our advice is always to get professional help / installers, although any DIY questions are welcome on our forums too.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Al-Yeti - It's a 9800. Installed late 1990.

Thanks for the instructions to power up mains first, I'll try that. Some other info I've seen online talks about a full cycle but battery first. Does mains first cause a different boot cycle?

If the battery does not have enough charge in it it may not power the system fully, this could cause the system to not boot correctly. Mains first will power the system fully, and then charge the battery

But in this case sounds like the old disappearing NVM issue.

Mains could have surged when they put the power back on.

I think more likely the NVM has been dead for years but by fluke the panel has always had either mains or just enough battery until now....

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

No test required, NVM failures that presented like this were very common on this panel, even in its heyday, power fail or not - but often after a complete loss.

I can only assume there was a design issue on this panel that meant the NVM IC was either overvoltage or written to far more than was really needed or recommended by the IC manf.