Security Installer Community

Wireless Security

jkno

I stumbled across this article the other day (sorry if it's already been posted/discussed)

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-07/24/home-alarm-hacking

With computing technology improving at an insane rate and top of the range cars being stolen off peoples drives with nothing more than a laptop. Does anyone question the security of wireless alarm systems and the longevity of the security process in place on these systems?

If BMW/Land Rover etc.. spend millions on wireless key encryption methods surely we need to question if any current wireless alarm technology will be hackable by nothing more than a 15 year old kid with a laptop with a fast GPU and internet connection in a few years?

Interesting read from cyber gibbons. However it doesn't cover the effect of technology evolving but the alarm panels remaining in place on the same technology. Un-stealable cars 5 years ago are being driven off peoples drives with a basic laptop and software download off the internet because of wireless keys. How long is it before the same is happening on homes/businesses.

I guess it comes down to cost vs value. Crooks aren't going to invest huge amounts of time and money to break protocols that don't guarantee them a high return on investment.

All the while I have worked in electronic security, we have stayed one step ahead of the criminals, burglars used to disable main, so  batteries for stand by were added, bells were ripped of walls, so anti tamper and self actuating bells were developed,  sounders and bells used to get filled with foam, so anti foam boxes were developed, wires were cut and shorted together in lofts, so eol was developed, detectors obscured, anti mask was developed. As soon as a loophole is discovered its closed. But as a technical person myself, I can see the weaknesses in non wireless systems let alone wireless, wireless systems to anyone with basic electronic skills and some inside knowledge is vulnerable

No disrespects intended Admin 2,,I have seen all these 'innovations' introduced including the 'anti foam' false alarming continually in high winds. EOL is not a particularly new technology, nonetheless, I would invite anyone to bypass my twelve core, or eight core for that matter, conventional wiring without sounding the alarm.

if someone wants to they will, wires are easier to attack assuming there is access to them, if access then id prefer double pole as thats easier to defeat. Next is eol. I couldnt even start to defeat a wireless system and would go for attacking the comms

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.