Security Installer Community

Alarm With App Which Can Disarm/arm Alarm (Replace Adt?)

Hi Leo, the Ethernet module works with Galaxy G2 where the panel firmware is version 1.44 or above. For self monitoring the firmware is best at 1.53 or above. Enter Display-》System gives the version. Android and iPhone keypad apps are available from the relevant stores. The module comes with a 4 wire flying lead for connection to the panel.

Hi,

So I have an ADT alarm which was installed about 7 years ago. I no longer have a contract directly with them and have fitted a dialler.

Spec is below

- It has two wireless panic alarms. One fixed

- Two Wireless sensors, 4 fixed sensors

- Two keypads, using key fobs

- Usual ADT spec - backup battery, able to distinguish between one sensor trigger vs two triggered

- Smoke alarm

- Dialler fitted - independently

I would like to be able to disarm and arm this alarm remotely. Problem is if the alarm goes off the dialler calls out and then someone needs to attend the property - my family had to come at 1am one time! Probably just a spider.

I would like to keep my current setup and just add something which will allow the alarm to be disarmed/armed remotely via an app for example. I plan to install IP cameras around the house (will only have them active when I leave the house) then i or someone in the family can just see if the property is ok. If it is OK the alarm can be disarmed and then armed again.

I have spoken to a local security company and they said they could just replace they key pads/control panel. £350. It would be Risco parts.

Anyone have any other ideas to resolve the problems above? Risco any good? heard they are ex-Guardtec? Or, is what i am planning to do a bad idea - i had spent a bit of cash to install the ADT alarm so fell bit hesitant in doing this but the sensors arent replaced and neither is wiring i guess.

cheers

cheers

Best bet would be to wait for the Pyronix Enforcer App that is due to be launched any day now.

You won't go far wrong with a Pyronix Enforcer. Galaxy's are over engineered and not ideal for a domestic property.

I wouldnt bother with a Risco Agility either. The app and panel work ok IMO but the cameras built into pirs is poor. Picture quality ain't all that and there is no position adjustment of the camera. It is also recommended they are fitted 400mm from the ceiling so usual at head height which can look weird. Otherwise the picture you get is of 30% of the ceiling. Plus the cameras have no infra red so useless in the dark.

Edited by Amps

Hi Leo, the Ethernet module works with Galaxy G2 where the panel firmware is version 1.44 or above. For self monitoring the firmware is best at 1.53 or above. Enter Display-》System gives the version. Android and iPhone keypad apps are available from the relevant stores. The module comes with a 4 wire flying lead for connection to the panel.

Also, regarding your concerns on connection to your security equipment from outside the premises.  My advice would always be to implement a secure VPN to connect to any internal equipment and not to port forward as many people do.  Even though the various panels / modules employ some form of encrypted communication, the implementations are vendor specific and may be vulnerable to attack. You can assess the risk of your installation and determine what's required.

Edited by GalaxyGuy

Hi,

Thanks all for your comments. 

Pyronix Enforcer - looks good but means taking out my panel / keypads and rather not as its already in and working fine. no issues. 

GSM Dialler - sounds good too. I actually already have a dialler installed, SD2 dialler but thats to dial out when the alarm is triggered. Could this be used?

More I have looked into this the more the option of the just adding an ethernet module looks like the best option. Not much change to the setup and I will be able to remotely access it -disarm/arm if needed. I will have IP cameras around the house to check the house if the alarm is triggered.

Questions on the SelfMon app:

- What support is available for any issues? Cant see an email address or phone number on the site?

- The network card which needs to be purchased for the usage of the selfmon app - is a standard network card flashed with software for usage with selfmon?

- Can the selfmon app functionality be used on the internet i.e. via a web browser

- Are there charges to use the app if not used for monitoring? That is, if I just wanted to the galaxy keypad when i wanted to is there a charge? As I dont see any upfront download charges?

Questions or views using Honeywell Ethernet module

Honeywell Ethernet Module IB

- this ethernet module by honeywell could be used with the panel have i think. Is that correct?

- advantages is that i would be hardware which is from the same manufacturer which everything else has been built with

- Can i use the selfmon app via with this too if needed?

cheers,

https://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/honeywell-ethernet-module-ib-p-3643.html

is the little ethernet board, afaik it works with the flex and the dimension. Ive never tried one on a g2.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.