Security Installer Community

Zone Fault On House Burglar Alarm

"...I forgot the 9448 was the bum basic version..."  Can you give some examples and your reasoning, this helps when we are relying on the advice of professionals.

Adi..." ...Thats ridiculous.."  and again, help us poor underlings out by elaborating the comment.

Datafussion "...Have you tried to see what happens in Walk test.."  At last, a sound piece of advice from a true expert.

Has the op tried the obvious and linked this circuit out at the control panel ? Opened the pir to check for debris, insects, spiders etc ? Is the led on 'constant' when the system is not set ? Tried removing and re-applying power ?  

"...I forgot the 9448 was the bum basic version..."  Can you give some examples and your reasoning, this helps when we are relying on the advice of professionals.

The 9448 was the entry level panel for Scantronic, lots fitted but yes, bum basic in functionality and programming 

Adi..." ...Thats ridiculous.."  and again, help us poor underlings out by elaborating the comment.

£100 to install that equipment is ridiculously cheap, I would be concerned at someone offering something so cheap it should be quite a bit more if the person is making an honest living from his work.

Datafussion "...Have you tried to see what happens in Walk test.."  At last, a sound piece of advice from a true expert.

I agree!

Has the op tried the obvious and linked this circuit out at the control panel ? Opened the pir to check for debris, insects, spiders etc ? Is the led on 'constant' when the system is not set ? Tried removing and re-applying power ?  

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Thankyou Norman for your clarification, and to Datadifussion for his input for the original op. This site is par-excellence and we, us lesser mortals, rely on yourselves enormously. There is a site, can't mention it's name, where so called professionals tend to answer diyer's with single words such as 'c**p' without justifying their reasoning... I don't go there anymore... 

Thanks for all the replies guys.

1. I'm a chartered engineer, though I've never worked on alarm systems. I have worked on high voltage systems up to 33,000 V so I can handle wiring.

2. The system will not allow walk test. All that happens when I try this either using the engineer code or my home setting code is Zone1 and Zone 4 LEDs flash in synch, one on one off, like those school crossing beacons you see occasionally. Up down, up down, if you know what I mean.

3. On setting the alarm it now takes 30s to arm and then triggers only the internal sounder. Nothing happens outside with the strobe or Pyronix Belle box.

4. I've tried powering off / on. No change.

5. All PIRs light up steady red when I walk in front of them. They then go off. Nothing different observed with any of them.

6. I'll try to link out the PIR in the control box but this was not obvious to me. Any "obvious" things to you are new to me. Trying to identify the PIR in the control box won't be easy. All detectors terminate in identical, black 2mm wiring.

7. I've had a look on Youtube and most modern Scantronics alarms look much fancier than mine, with LCD displays and suchlike. I'm tempted to bin mine and fit a new system. What do people recommend?

Thanks for all the replies guys.

1. I'm a chartered engineer, though I've never worked on alarm systems. I have worked on high voltage systems up to 33,000 V so I can handle wiring.

you were licenced for hv?

2. The system will not allow walk test. All that happens when I try this either using the engineer code or my home setting code is Zone1 and Zone 4 LEDs flash in synch, one on one off, like those school crossing beacons you see occasionally. Up down, up down, if you know what I mean.

A walk test will show current open circuits

3. On setting the alarm it now takes 30s to arm and then triggers only the internal sounder. Nothing happens outside with the strobe or Pyronix Belle box

id say thats cos circuit 4 is in alarm, and is classed as an 'exit fault'

4. I've tried powering off / on. No change.

again look at cct 4

5. All PIRs light up steady red when I walk in front of them. They then go off. Nothing different observed with any of them.

thats just the sensor led sounds like you have a relay or cable fault

6. I'll try to link out the PIR in the control box but this was not obvious to me. Any "obvious" things to you are new to me. Trying to identify the PIR in the control box won't be easy. All detectors terminate in identical, black 2mm wiring.

loop out circuit 4

7. I've had a look on Youtube and most modern Scantronics alarms look much fancier than mine, with LCD displays and suchlike. I'm tempted to bin mine and fit a new system. What do people recommend?

Depends on your needs, ie what car do you recommend i buy next?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.