Security Installer Community

Dda In Domestic

What are peoples thoughts on this?

It has never been an issue but was just having a general chat with the guys at new company. Was doing a google search and came across this 

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partm/faqs

Q. Should the height of trip switches and consumer units (fuse boxes), which are normally positioned at least 1200mm above floor level to avoid tampering by children, be within the 450mm to 1200mm height range specified in Section 8?

A. AD M does not offer guidance on the positioning of trip switches and fuse boxes. A new Part of the Building Regulations, Part P 'Electrical safety', with accompanying guidance in an Approved Document, came into force on 1 January 2005. Part P 'Electrical safety' can be found on the Planning Portal.

Section 10.5.2 of BS 8300:2001, 'Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people - code of practice' states that:

• electrical socket outlets, telephone points and TV sockets should be located between 400mm and 1000mm above the floor.
  • Switches for permanently wired appliances should be mounted between 750mm and 1200mm above the floor.
  • Meters should be mounted between 1200mm and 1400mm from the floor so that the readings can be viewed by a person standing or sitting. Pre-pay meters should be accessible but protected from tampering by children.
  • All switches and controls that require manual dexterity should be between 750mm and 1000mm from the floor, and
  • the maximum height of simple push button controls which require limited dexterity should be 1200mm.

Near bottom looks like domestic may have to go to 1200 height for keypads.

You simply buy a consumer unit (Metal in domestics from 1 jan 2016) with a locking door.

I think the last time I read doc M/P there was a hight stated for MCB'S(I could be wrong).

Most alarm keypads I have come across when fitted top at 1200mm, the screens  are un readable at my height 5' 10" and i have to crouch.

DDA can be taken too far, I am all for equal opportunities for all, not putting keypads at dda height could be discriminating disabled users. However, putting the bell box at ladder height could also be seen as discriminating to disabled DIYers. Having a keypad at all could be described as discriminating to the mentally disabled  

The keypad can be moved if a disabled person moves into the property the same as steps can be converted to slopes. I think its daft to install systems to suit less than 8% of the population especially when the property is not occupied by anyone disabled.

• Upvote 1