Security Installer Community

Part P THE DOCUMENT

jb-eye

Part P

Click on the above to download the Part P download

As promised i said i would try & find the document and here it is.

Note that extra low voltage is now included so this in theory includes alarms & telecoms?

Jef

Customers!

Having read the document it clearly states that adding a fused spur to an existing ring or radial cct is work that does not need to be notified to building control bodies.

You only have to comply with the partp bit if your adding a new cct to and existing consumer unit.

Clearly your work has to comply with the relevant electrical standards etc regardless!

As cynical as i can be i think its just another rip off way of taking money from businesses like they have done with CSCS cards. It seems to me that sparks are having to cough up £300+ to register then continually buy stickers and test sheets to comply with something theyre perferctly able to do now and no doubt do do without the redtape attached.

Its not going to stop the avarage cowboy or DIYer from doing what the hell they like.

Maybe its more for kitchen fitters and bathroom fitters who have not been using certified sparks to do the electrical work. That sounds more plausable.

Maybe its more for kitchen fitters and bathroom fitters who have not been using certified sparks to do the electrical work. That sounds more plausable.

26785[/snapback]

My Father in law had a kitchen fitted two years ago by a big local company, It cost in excess of 15k and the wiring was done by the joiner :o one look at the shabby mess and I condemned it and got the company to start again with a qualified sparky, they weren't too pleased but did it under the threat of trading standards as they had quoted (in an itemised quote) for all electrical work to be carried out under current IEE reg's.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

The only thing I think any Security, Telecom engineers should have to do under this part-p is some kind of limited 16 edition certificate covering ELV and LV circuits only this way you could cut the cost and there will be know need to learn about the other stuff like fitting a shower and witch size of cable to use. A simple cause just covering this would do in my eyes

I haven

• 4 months later...
Guest wongawarrior

To Part P or not to P

I am intrested to get some thoughts on the Part P debate , I need an unbiased recital of this confusing issue can anybody shed some light on this confussing subject it's nearly as confusing as DD243.

I have recently spoke with ECA who inform me that Part P is required for any ELV cables i.e PIR in Kitchen / Bathroom , or for PIR's in Garage / Shed ( if the cables pass through the garden ) and obviously the Spurs for Panel /Lighting etc.

SSAIB would say that as long as you are not creating a new circuit then it is outside the scope of the Part P scheme , So before I go ahead and Cough up some hard earned dolly. :cry: I just need to know it is necescary

Is it agreed there is no way out of this , or are organisations who are set to benefit from new members and fees , putting a slant on things .

If you're adding a new circuit to a installation the this is inside the scope of Part P.

If you're spurring a new cable from an existing circuit then this is outside the scope of Part P, unless it's in a kitchen or bathroom.

Replacing a faulty cable is allowed, unless it's in a kitchen or bathroom, rewiring the complete circuit is not.

Part P only applies in domestic dwellings, commercial and industrial installations are outside the scop of Part P.

There was some confusion over SELV wiring as it was included in the original release of Part P but a later amendment excluded SELV from the scope of Part P.

12v Intruder Alarm devices do not count as they are SELV as stated by Lurch, telephone cabling is ELV (98v when ringing) and mains cabling obviously counts. PIRs in Kitchens and garages arent restricted by Part P

Basically only spur off EXISTING circuits but NOT in Kitchens or Bathrooms.

Do NOT run telephone cable through Kitchens or Bathrooms.

For some mad reason you can spur off an existing ring at a consumer unit, but if there is a spare breaker you must not connect into that because it would be creating a new circuit.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived