Security Installer Community

Monitored Alarm No Longer Near A Phone Socket

Chall

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

alternatively, if you really didnt want to pay for an extension to be installed, you could purchase a gsm/ptsn converter, slip in a sim card and stick that next to the panel. pull the wire from the old socket, crimp a plug on the end and away you go. ADT none the wiser!

this is a crazy, **** about face, probably more expensive route to take but still a solution ;)

personally, i would have offered the ADT engineer a sneaky £50 to route a cable through the house for me quickly. would have been a much neater install, job done whilst he was on site, no need to pay for a return visit, everyones a winner :D

of course this is frowned upon these days, how dare an engineer help out a returning customer!!

i would have just done it free of charge, yearly maintenance is surely worth it after all. just shows the difference in mentality between big companies and small companies.

But this is exactly why people expect things for free. I wouldn't have had a problem doing it but it would have gone on the sheet for the company to charge extra for.

I am not sure what ADT's protocols are. Engineers might be instructed not to touch anything except the alarms.

So you run the phone line, then every issue with it thereafter is yours in the customers eyes, leave the phones to the phone co and the alarms to the alarm co imo.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

as a small company i wouldnt see it as a free install, i would see it as investment. your company is at a greater loss if the customer decides to install an alarm with someone else. for the sake of 30 minutes work, its not worth charging for.

i agree though it may not be protocol for a service engineer of a large company and he likely has 5 more services to do that day.

im self employed and havnt touched domestic alarms for many many years but i know throwing in the odd freebie, keeps customers coming back, and you allways end up charging them in other ways eventually anyway.

"leave the phones to the phone co and the alarms to the alarm co imo." - never had an issue patching into the back of a bt socket.

• 4 months later...