Security Installer Community

Vista Quantum Dvr Keeps Shutting Down.

aissecur

Morning Gents,

A customer of mine has a Vista (H264) Quantum Dvr (The smaller dvr with no buttons on the front of the unit, everything is mouse controlled)

The issue i have is the unit has started rebooting itself 10+ times a day & the customer is not a happy bunny.

The PSU is an external 12v one which i have changed (Made sure it was 12V  5amps). I have not changed the Hard drive .

I told the customer to remove the LAN connection out of the back of the DVR, this apparently reduced the number of times it rebooted itself... to an odd time.

The problem is the customer uses the remote view on his IPhone so need to resolve this.

As far as I’m aware the unit has the latest firmware installed but can check & reinstall if required.

I have a few thoughts - is the unit being hacked as you can remotely shutdown these units??

I have a Quantum unit myself at home & have noticed lately it reboots itself once a day

Has anyone had any similar issues & can advise how i resolve this?

Thanks in advance

aissecur

High P2P on the co-ax's can cause random reboots on some DVR's.

If it was being 'hacked' why would it still reboot with the LAN disconnected.

You have tried the PSU which would be my first thought, after that maybe HDD issues.

Factory default the machine and format the HDD, see if that fixes it?

Not played with that model Quantum so I am thinking generic issues here.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply…

Majority of the camera inputs are via Cat 5 (Baluns), I’m proposing to put Hum Eliminators on the two coax inputs so this would resolve any phasing / earthing issues …

Also will probably do a PSCC / Earth loop at the socket outlet that supplies the CCTV equipment just to check there is no iffy readings..

I’m also thinking of reloading the latest firmware again onto the machine & swap out the HDD and format.

I just found it suspect that when connected via LAN it rebooted so many times…

• 2 months later...

I've seen this before on a cheap Chinese import DVR, it was caused by a rough DC power rail.

Open the case and look for bulging capacitors, these are sometimes caused by the unit being stood on it's side or having other kit sat on top, effectively disabling any airflow vents.

Also check for excessive dust build up in the unit, especially if it's installed in an industrial location.

If it has bulging caps, replace them and it should be OK.

Hope this helps.

I've seen this before on a cheap Chinese import DVR, it was caused by a rough DC power rail.

That's a blow, comparing a Quantum to cheap Chinese stuff.

Open the case and look for bulging capacitors, these are sometimes caused by the unit being stood on it's side or having other kit sat on top, effectively disabling any airflow vents.

Also check for excessive dust build up in the unit, especially if it's installed in an industrial location.

If it has bulging caps, replace them and it should be OK.

While I would agree you could replace blown capacitors yourself, I doubt this is the case here.

Also security kit is generally classed as non-user serviceable, plus not many alarm engineers would be capable of a repair like that.

The best protocol here would be to send it back or replace.

I would be interested if the OP found what the issues was in the end.

Maybe mains potential on the earth , ie bad earth , pcb failure , host of things

Today's pcbs are a hard fix old days you trace each component, unless this Dvr is old style chunky components?

Out of curiosity if you temporarily stuck a ups on it does it cure it? Earth to OP?

That's a blow, comparing a Quantum to cheap Chinese stuff.

I didn't compare it, just pointing out that I have seen this fault on a different device. All electronics are comprised of similar components, often expensive devices carry the same components as cheap stuff, it can be useful from a diagnostic POV.

I didn't compare it, just pointing out that I have seen this fault on a different device. All electronics are comprised of similar components, often expensive devices carry the same components as cheap stuff, it can be useful from a diagnostic POV.

You mean cheap resistors?

More like cheaper manufacturing process perhaps?