Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9448Es Problems

jgs1000

its up to you at the end of the day. they arent ripping you off, its a fair enough price. you could always get another quote from another co to compare.

its worth paying a pro to ensure its done properly, with a hell of a lot more ease than doing it yourself.

Nope in answer to what panel do they propose to fit didn't go that far into it - They'd use the existing PIR's and siren, although I could have a new siren at £95 if I wanted. Its a reputable firm, not a one man band (no offence to one man bands though) so It's probably whatever off the shelf basic domestic unit is in common use by you guys, but I'm leaning towards swapping it out for something like that ebay one I mentioned above an fitting it myself.

Even if it went wrong I'd have to buy 6 replacements before I was close to out of pocket at that price.

Plus your time, I would rather pay someone to do stuff than diy it myself, I value my free time. I'm not knocking what your doing though, if you are happy doing it yourself then thats fine.

Thanks Peter, yeah kind of moving drifting from what I originally intended, I was more interested in any known issues to look out for on that panel rather than a big discussion on charging :-)  - every industry has its charges, my own included based on what the market will bear ,

I've ripped 3/4 of the thing completely out today and reassembled it in less than an hour, so tbh I'm leaning towards just replacing it straight out and saving £250, am just aware when you step sightly out of your comfort zone there's usually always "gottya's" that you end up spending 3 hours trying to troubleshoot where someone who does it everyday just goes ah 'that's such and such'

OP, if you like your Scantronic 9448ES then don't waste any more time trying to fix it, but get yourself or someone to fit you a 9651PD.

But if this is your first panel I'd allow a whole day to change it. And you won't really know if you've got it right without a lot of testing.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Turned out to be a faulty capacitor it was only measuring 15 picofarads! also explaining why the 12v rail was all over the place and causing the light to flash- so all in all, I've now changed the regulator and the capacitor and its all back together working fine , Can't grumble at a cost of £2.50 instead of £300+vat eh?

A days a bit of an excessive estimate to remove and reconnect 15 screw terminals and a couple of mounting screws - its only took as long as it did cos the panel was in a such a bloody awkward place to get to! :)

Edited by jgs1000

But what will be next to go wrong and how soon will you know before its either too late or you're just off on 2 weeks hols? I'm all for fixing stuff but safety gear, less keen. Not faulting your deduction and soldering skills mind.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands