Security Installer Community

Ade Optima Plus 2 - 8 Zone Panel

Gemini

I appreciate advice on here, but many posts appear to be sales pitches with "throw it away" type of answers. I like to prove that a product is fully deffective before anything gets disposed.

You're wrong about that, no one is trying to sell you anything. All the posts above give good advice.

You're battery is clearly knackered, bin it and replace.

A panel upgrade would make sense as your lack of maintenance may well have damaged the charge circuit, something this panel type is well known for. Have a look on the PCB in the region of the battery leads connections you may well find a burnt out resistor.

Given the state of the "battery" (it ceased being a battery years ago) Id be surprised if you didnt.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

I found that there was a metal bar at the top that holds the PCB, and as I was trying to remove it, I thought that if I did, the cables wouldn't reach and get pulled out. It also triggered a case tamper, despite being in engineer mode. I will consider taking it out of the housing at some point and seeing if there are any damaged components on the board. I did probe the two fuses and got negative readings.

The main problem is that you don't know what you are doing, but think you can manage. Its all very well checking and metering things but if you do not know what you should be seeing, you can only think it is okay.

You have a 12volt battery that is only showing just over 4volts, the system is putting out 14 volts to charge a flat battery, in your words its only there if the mains fails. But ask yourself this if the mains has not failed and the battery is only showing 4 volts then something is very wrong. Now if the battery has been knackered for a long time and the system has been trying to charge this and not succeeding, things have got very hot and the panel is no longer operating to the specification it was designed for yes it will charge a battery if there has been a power failure, but it was never designed to charge a flat battery continuously. So things get hot and deteriorate etc etc  and in the worst case scenario they get so hot they burst into flames, simply changing the battery may not matter as the long term damage has already been done.

Yes a faulty battery will also cause a budget panel to do strange things and not operate as expected.

If you simply replace the battery, would your house insurance cover you if the panel overheated and caused a fire..........................I doubt it.

The best advice is to update the panel and new battery. not an expensive task for peace of mind.

If the battery is only producing 4v then it will be pulling current from the panel and has been pulling current from some time, the 14v coming from the charging circuit is telling you nothing as its not on any load. Your panel is powered from the battery and the battery is kept charged from the charging circuit, this way the detection and panel gets a steady 12vdc. The mains into your panel is appx 240vac sometimes it can be 220vac sometimes it can be as high as 600vac it is never 240vac exactly without a battery the 12v will be fluctuating up and down with the mains supplied. This will effect the CPU and detection giving allsorts of problems but seeing the battery is as old as it was I would agree with everyone that the panel is fried

theoretically a battery is not required for a system to function with power. but some panels require and rely on it to be there for stable operation. but your old panel using a linear power supply will be costing you at least  £60 a year in electric. so if you keep it your wasting money not saving it.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I appreciate advice on here, but many posts appear to be sales pitches with "throw it away" type of answers. I like to prove that a product is fully deffective before anything gets disposed.

We get this quite a bit, but how are we making money out of advising you to buy a new panel we dont sell them we install them. I appreciate that you are trying to be green by not throwing away something that works, but meanwhile your neighbors are thinking that pooxy alarm is always going off. We are giving you advice from experience, we see this stuff everyday we know the expense of trying different tests only to end up replacing the panel in the end anyway