Security Installer Community

Hi Just Starting Up On My Own

Hi everyone.  Ive just decided to start up on my own after working for companies for 20 years, ADT , Romec, Balfour Beaty to name a few.  I wondered if anyone had any advice whatever it might me on the best way to accumulate business.  I am sub contracting at the moment on new builds  in the North west which is great, But need other avenues.  Any advice will be welcome.  Thanks Kenny

Well I am starting up also.

get your name out there, wrt to budget do what you can thats free and find the best value price for what your paying for, and watch out for the scams as i was approached last week and would be a waste of precious money.

You have to find out what works for you.

The sub work will help,

Well I am starting up also.

get your name out there, wrt to budget do what you can thats free and find the best value price for what your paying for, and watch out for the scams as i was approached last week and would be a waste of precious money.

You have to find out what works for you.

The sub work will help,

I don't know much marketing that is very effective and costs nowt. If you find it, please do share. As for best price on what buying, I doubt a startup buying £100 a week in gear has much bargaining power. The first run of the ladder for significant discounts is £400,000 a year spend for one of the suppliers we deal with.

HI thanks for your advice,  My budget for advertising isnt great so I will definately watch out for scams,  HOpe it goes well for you Secureiam. 

Catch 22 then. No money to put into sales will result in low sales. Low sales results in no cash to do anything with and usually ends up with a trip to see these guys https://www.gov.uk/contact-official-receiver

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

best form of advertising in my opinion is word of mouth cost nothing and is probably the best advertising you will get when i first started i put a 5 camera system in my best friends garage free of charge for him with all the customers he had onto the forcourt and in the shop and garage area i have had 4 big cctv installs from people asking him about it i am not saying go and offer someone free cctv just a pointing out that word of mouth and people seeing systems working is a big plus thats my opinion anyway but i am sure there will be some of the miserable lot on her shortly to say otherwise plus i hope everything works out in your new venture

Miserable lot = realist?

This industry has had a fairly consistent cycle of people starting up on their own and have ended up bust a year or 2 down the line or at best earning a wage equal to that of McDonald's.

Difficult market, especially when you are doing what the man down the street is. As I understand it you both are just installers? No products of your own or any USP's? If not it then comes a price war and looking at the prices already out there if they go any lower you'll be paying the customer for the privilege of them having your system.

In the North West alone I have looked at over 50 companies in the past 2/3 months that want out because they can't make it work and the harsh reality is years of hard work will see them with a 10 grand payoff at best.

Not that I wish anyone bad luck but seeing the sheer volume of failing companies on the market at present doesn't say to me there is a 'gap in the market' for yet another engineer turned businessman who thinks he can do a better job than their previous boss.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

best form of advertising in my opinion is word of mouth cost nothing and is probably the best advertising you will get when i first started i put a 5 camera system in my best friends garage free of charge for him with all the customers he had onto the forcourt and in the shop and garage area i have had 4 big cctv installs from people asking him about it i am not saying go and offer someone free cctv just a pointing out that word of mouth and people seeing systems working is a big plus thats my opinion anyway but i am sure there will be some of the miserable lot on her shortly to say otherwise plus i hope everything works out in your new venture

"Miserable lot on here"?

Hmmaren't you the fella asking for trade to fix a mates alarm?