Security Installer Community

Permanently Disabling Gardtec 595

SharplyUnclear

But arf a dead forum reader based on being told to fiddle around inside the panel isn't funny. Especially as hes already expressed his reluctance to do so,

and you know better than me on those particular panels, especially the older ones, the mains into the transformer are not fully moulded or encapsulated

like modern stuff.

My remark was in response to Normans somewhat 'heavy' post, where do i suggest to not take good care and/ir encourage anyone to go DIY? (I feel (ok gear) the need to instruct on the safe usage of a neon screwdriver coming on).

i think the o/p is wise and mature enough to do what he knows is right - i.e. keep out.. If we are going to 'belly fluff' every bit of banter in public, then we might as well close it now!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I was not asking for advice on disabling the system myself. I was wondering whether I could switch-off the audible warning from the console...

Steve, [...], if you disable any internal speaker that will reduce the main noise. leaving the keypad as the only noise...

So there we go. He didn't want to know, so no, he was unlikely to do it. But I think it is our duty to be careful with members of the public. Exactly the same as if you were in his home. That's all.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi there,

I inherited an alarm system in my house nearly twenty years ago, which I had serviced regularly. Over time it became more-and-more temperamental (the alarm company upgraded my Regalsafe RS100 to a Gardtec 800 and the (after a lightning strike) to a Gardtec 595; but then I started to get infrared sensors causing problems - "spiders inside the sensor", "broken wire", "old age", etc.; the last major failure was 3 years ago when I was on annual vacation, which proved to be a considerable annoyance to the neighbours). So I decided not to use the alarm any more, and just ignored it.

Well, it's payback time now :shy: . Last night the console alarm went off because the auxiliary battery is failing. So I get a warning triggered every hour (which I then reset), reminding me of this joyous fact.

I will call a service company tomorrow and ask them to shutdown the system permanently (it's too unreliable to use - I need to be considerate to the neighbours). However, is there any way I can do something today (earplugs don't really shut the noise out when you're trying to sleep)?

Regards,

Steve Simpson

getting back on track,

Steve, i can understand you not trusting your system in its current state, and from what you say i can understand that and if accurate (because we are not hearing the other side), tbh i'm ashamed of such disgraceful service given to you on behalf of my trade.

i'm dam sure as many other experienced engineers it could be put it right and without fuss by a skilled engineer, to reinstate some initial confidence if i were attending i'd make an assessment, talk it through with you what i have or have not found, and what i'd suggest to do. If you trusted me to go ahead i'd suggest it be on visual alert only for an agreed period to save any further distress.

once you comfortable then go internal speaker only, then later reconnect externals with a short siren ring time. i don't usually offer my services in here, but to me this is a very exceptional situation.

t, talk it through with you what i have or have not found, and what i'd suggest to do. If you trusted me to go ahead i'd suggest it be on visual alert only for an agreed period to save any further distress.

once you comfortable then go internal speaker only, then later reconnect externals with a short siren ring time. i don't usually offer my services in here, but to me this is a very exceptional situation.

arf its only his alarm not working,he hasnt had a run in with saville...

So there we go. He didn't want to know, so no, he was unlikely to do it. But I think it is our duty to be careful with members of the public. Exactly the same as if you were in his home. That's all.

i thought you were referencing my play in words difib remark - so i assume you having comming up dry, i i assume you are now moving your goal posts?

so ok, lets belly fluff some more and go on a flight of sheer fantasy -:

fact - internal speaker is not commonly within the main G595 end station, the little speakers were supplied for a period with the G8xx Gardtec range, dropped for the G4/5XX ranges. even if it was within the end station, the o/p has expressed - as you re-quoted - he has expressed a great reluctance, and his valid prudent reasons for not opening the end station.

so where is there any dour risk of him opening the far more common hall mounted internal speaker casing? unless the installer used a mains powered master blaster mounted in the hall for this purpose?

so you are making all this fuss and talk of impending forum readers doom yet you see fit to make the 'humorous' suggestion (#13) of connecting someone to a strobe circuit carrying over 11k, and nothing about the lack of Normans full description (#14) for preferring a 'fibulator' (which the description was the basis if my remark, given Normans very recent comment as to my posts content).

if you are so very concerned, to prevent my keen sense of any victimisation being alerted, i think you should show consistency of H&S stance and berate Norman mercilessly, as i'm now like you very concerned if the o/p suffers a cardiac arrest at sometime his life, mistakingly uses a certain sex toy instead the correct medical kit to re-start his heart, and tragically loose his life!

or we could all - just 'get real' instead ;).

Archived