Security Installer Community

False Alarm From Wired Pir

EdGasket

The resistance readings can be taken from the panel end. Personally I'd be fitting a Dualtech in place of the PIR, and recommending a full system upgrade.

Why would you do that Liam? I would rather use a decent quad pir than a DT in a domestic most DT's have a **** pir in them simply becuase they are dt's

I've replaced my PC 7 times in that timescale and 11 phones

Some people are antique collectors LOL

Well I was hoping not to get into an argument about professional servicing and as far as I am concerned, if it works, I don't need to change it but if necessary I will change it all. Can we please be objective and helpful with the replies? I just need some technical advice.

Someone mentioned resistance readings; can you provide more detail of what to measure?

Well I was hoping not to get into an argument about professional servicing and as far as I am concerned, if it works, I don't need to change it but if necessary I will change it all. Can we please be objective and helpful with the replies? I just need some technical advice.

Someone mentioned resistance readings; can you provide more detail of what to measure?

Putting it in a skip was a helpful reply.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I would check cabling from the panel to PIR then terminations at both ends.

Then I would replace the old heap of junk with up to date equipment.

The system is 23 years old and surely you can see its had its time?

!

Resistance of the tamper circuit and the alarm circuit. Depending on the detector the alarm could be anywhere between 2ohms and around 35ohms.

Check against the other pirs if it's higher it could be a cable issue or the PIR.

Bare in mind it might read a normal value during the day and with a change in temperature during the night that could cause it to false alarm.

Change it for a dtec or decent quad .

Hey Ed my questions were valid any chance you could answer them so I can carry on with my diagnosis 

replacing a system by all means to get modern advantages, but not because of PIR activations. this is like replacing the whole car just for a slow puncture.

1st off, especially this time of year check for spiders inside, behind  or around the detectors, any holes fill with putty or bluetack

serviced 2 ish! years ago? no mention of battery being changed - well i'd fit a new battery having tested the charging voltage is 13.65 or within 1 volt either side.

as the system is old, at least get the siren replaced for modern unit with its own 15 min cut out, your panel may well have a cut off timer, but that won't help if your panel fails or the cable to siren is damaged.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hey Ed my questions were valid any chance you could answer them so I can carry on with my diagnosis 

I did answer you Peter, see post 5 above.

Thanks for the reply LWillis.

So do I jumper the tamper circuit in the panel and disconnect the PIR wires from the panel to measure them?

I did answer you Peter, see post 5 above.

Thanks for the reply LWillis.

So do I jumper the tamper circuit in the panel and disconnect the PIR wires from the panel to measure them?

Sorry i missed that one amongst all the calls to replace the kit. When was the battery last replaced? anything over 4 years I would suggest you replace it. Diss the wires at the panel and meter them from there dont hold the wires on the probes with your fingers, I would check for ac noise by putting one probe on earth the other on the dc with the meter set to ac anything over 2vac could be a problem

Archived