Security Installer Community

Hello From A Security Researcher

cybergibbons

I think the panel's usability and feature set are excellent, and the security is excellent as well. I think it's a shame it isn't better differentiated from less good panels.

I'm sure Adrian agrees. Not wanting to out words in his mouth but it would piss me off big time that his excellent product had the same badge as some other tat and the buyer had nothing to tell them apart.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I think the panel's usability and feature set are excellent, and the security is excellent as well. I think it's a shame it isn't better differentiated from less good panels.

It is apart from Scantronic, and Visonic the rest on your list are complete toot. Both the Visonic and ION are aimed at the lower end domestic market expected burglar opportunist

He was alluding to pointing out the obvious - Some of those DIY panels really are that poor so is no shock that they have as many holes as an invisible sieve

Ding!

Excellent. However I think we can all agree that the Yales and Friedlands are no more than glorified door chimes and don't really count for anything since you'll most likely find them on sheds and bungalows. 

What i'm more interested in is your attack simulation. I've attached a layout with some devices and a panel on it. Choose any wireless system you've done and talk me through how your findings will allow you to break in to the premises and get to the panel room to access the safe that has my days takings etc in it.

m5yI6NJ.png

There's any number of scenarios.

* One system is vulnerable to a replay attack from a pin from a wireless keypad. I don't know if the wireless keypads are commonly installed, if they are, that is an issue.

* Simulating a detector and causing it to show in fault/tamper can prevent system from being armed.

* I can actively jam one or more detectors without triggering the alarm on some systems.

I don't think discussing the details around specific alarms is a good idea in a public forum though.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

I think he meant grading wise chaps. Grade 2 = grade 2 and all that. Nothing saying buy the texecom its the best grade 2 available. Akin to the points I made in the Pyronix thread a couple of days ago.

I'm sure Adrian agrees. Not wanting to out words in his mouth but it would piss me off big time that his excellent product had the same badge as some other tat and the buyer had nothing to tell them apart.

Matt - precisely. As has been mentioned, there are scant few grade 3 wireless panels and no grade 4 wireless panels. I've also not seen any grade 1 panels (correct me if there are any). So everything has to try and fit into grade 2. There's no 2+ or similar, yet there really are huge differences in the security afforded by the different panels.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Id still be interested in his findings. Id im honest in confident adrians stuff is spot on. I'm less confident on the rest of the list.

ale or iPhone

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived