Security Installer Community

Engineer/installer Feedback Req'd For New Product

spike27

Following a recent discussion about new products being introduced without installer input, I fed this back to my MD and we are now putting a new product modification out to installers such as yourselves to get it user friendly first time.

The current product is the YEND21 (G2 mini sized surface contact with selectable resistors) and XEND21 (G3 version)- see links below:

http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/view_item.asp?id=217

http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/view_item.asp?id=216

What we're looking to do is redesign this so that the PCB config is more like the rest of our range, namely fitted upright to base plate, with lid cover. (Currently, you have to slide the PCB out to make your connections, then slide it back in)

Specifically, what we're looking for is your feedback on the following in particular:

* resistors via modules, or headers?

* clip on lid, or screw fastening lid?

* would you be happy to buy the modules separately in say packs of 10 to keep unit cost down, or would you prefer 4 with each unit (some of which you might not use?)

...but any input on anything to do with the product would be useful, such as fixing screws / knockouts (position+number) perhaps?

(FAO - Mods: wasn't sure which forum to post this in so happy for you to move it elsewhere if required)

Thought headers would be the most conveinent for everyone, manufacture and installer.

cheers. The modules are those shown here in the picture with our flush multi products:

%5B2%5DA51%202533.jpg

Their advantage is they will reduce the size of the PCB and give us more panel configs (plus a 4 wire option), but they do cost more.

Being honest we used to use alot of the YEND21 and through poor quality on the solder joints breaking and causing false alarms, in the end we had to go round all our sites and remove them and replace with

cqr's instead, it didnt matter how carefull you were when fitting the contact through vibration of the door opening and closeing eventually it would fail

So no go for us im affraid unless you sort the issue on the solder joints

:(

Being honest we used to use alot of the YEND21 and through poor quality on the solder joints breaking and causing false alarms, in the end we had to go round all our sites and remove them and replace with

cqr's instead, it didnt matter how carefull you were when fitting the contact through vibration of the door opening and closeing eventually it would fail

So no go for us im affraid unless you sort the issue on the solder joints

:(

Sorry to hear that Couger. We take all feedback very seriously, and the negative feedback is often more helpful than the positive as we tend to get a lot more detail! We use this to continually improve the range, and I've personally not heard of a faulty YEND21 for the past year at least, and probably longer if I look back through the records here.

I will admit that we had some quality issues as Knight Plastics but as alterEGO mentions above, we drew a line under some of the older products, spent a lot on R&D and product design and revamped the whole range during our rebrand to Knight Fire and Security Products Ltd. This whole thread is a result of said continual improvement, as we now look to upgrade the YEND21 and XEND21.

I'm that confident of our quality, that if you PM me your contact details, I'll send you a few samples of the new range FOC including the current YEND21 for your testing and evaluation.

Archived