Security Installer Community

Melcom St6100 - Rewire Or Replace Tomorrow?

Simon K

tbh as you do have cable issues and at least can understand resistor arrays, i really would go with a panel that uses DOEL cable monitoring.

your current panel is likely 'double pole', likely uses a single closed loop for each zones positive sensor loop and a 'universal' tamper sent around all the detection ti act as the double pole

fine if no problems but only responds during the time it is armed, where as DOEL monitors the alarm circuits 24/7, which includes the separate tamper on each zone. less affected by small intermittent until they get big enough go be a real problem and then are much easier to 'see' on which zone and on a meter.

Risco Gardtec CPX will do 8 zones out if he box, and has a built in VoCom dialler for simple alert warnings to your phone.

Interesting...but I don't need the wireless it also has, and I already have a dialler.  It's a pretty good price for those features, sure, but...can you recommend a "simpler" panel which has DEOL monitors without the extra features? :-)

Re soldered connections

Arf, if its soldered and insulated correctly in th first place, it never needs to be looked at again. I'd arg.ue that a soldered connection in a 6 core is actually stronger than the origonal cable

Plus, in the days of gas soldering irons, time difference between mechanical termination and soldering is virtually non existent. I insist on soldered joints over everything but idc. As for why we dont solder to pcbs? Can you imagine a swap out due to faulty kit?

Decided to order the Gardtec CPX - I don't have to use the wireless or the voice dialler, and DEOL seems like a good idea.  We'll see how it goes.

CPX is a stout panel, punches wll sbove its weight imho. although you have a dialler, this vocom is built in. and will tell you info of which zone has activated. all programmed from the keypad. so a dodle to change keyholders, or order they are called for holdays etc.

it it don't come with proximity for fobs, but you can add the prox receiver and fobs for not that much more.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Re soldered connections

Arf, if its soldered and insulated correctly in th first place, it never needs to be looked at again. I'd arg.ue that a soldered connection in a 6 core is actually stronger than the origonal cable

Plus, in the days of gas soldering irons, time difference between mechanical termination and soldering is virtually non existent. I insist on soldered joints over everything but idc. As for why we dont solder to pcbs? Can you imagine a swap out due to faulty kit?

i don't think you have spent much time on brake downs aspects of alarm systems ;)

Foz, with respect mate, granted your joints will not likely be an issue, it's when a cable gets damaged, rodents, digs, crushed cables, carpet fitters, builders, laminate floors etc. You then need to be able to separate connections swiftly in junction boxes to 'divide an conquer'.

tbh, soldering and heat shrink has no advantages over a properly terminated connections in a junction box designed for the task. not bashing at you, but your way while i commend your diligence, is not reducing faults by any percentage it just makes them harder and si slower to rectify.

it is easier to both see and trace organised connections, held in place in a terminal strip, against (i assume) a bunch of heat shrunk joints. connections resembling a birds nest.

Your method as you say works for Nasa, don't get many carpet fitters, rodents or builders banging an extension onto the back of a space station, or working in space ships - well not while in space (tmk), so unless you are doing to remote service udl to moon station alarms, i'd use 'earth side' serviceable techniques ;).

Arf, im not a hater, or even one to attack, unless i really feel the need. But ..

A soldered connnection might as well be a piece of cable with no join. No need to fault find it. I agree in massive installs its good to have mediim points to test from, but a solid cable is a solid cable, and a soldered cable is a solid cable in my book

Why would it be necessary to ever access a cable joint that is unaffected by heat, rust, tension etc? The only things that affect a properly soldered join also affect an un joined cable

Arf, im not a hater, or even one to attack, unless i really feel the need. But ..

A soldered connnection might as well be a piece of cable with no join. No need to fault find it. I agree in massive installs its good to have mediim points to test from, but a solid cable is a solid cable, and a soldered cable is a solid cable in my book

Why would it be necessary to ever access a cable joint that is unaffected by heat, rust, tension etc? The only things that affect a properly soldered join also affect an un joined cable

think outside of the box young man - well at least outside of your solder joints :).

in short (sorry for the pun) soldering joints don't stop cable damage. some workman bangs a nail through a board and shorts out a cable, so you go to the nearest test point and is all soldered up - trust me i'd then be a hater of you ;). Now i have to break up your soldered joints to test, and find which cable of possibly many, is faulting (nothing soldering elsewhere is ever going to prevent),

You sited NASA at me, so i quote regulations (feck, Arfur quoting regs - i can hear every ones eyelids blinking) and manufacturers, who if the trade agreed with your pov, would produce solder tag banks, and abandon terminal blocks in junction boxes altogether.

tbh possibly not a bad thing at the detectors and maybe in the panel, then looped to pcb onto ribbon cables for board replacement, but not intermediate connection points.

anyone still remember 'finger joints' ?, no, not anything yiu smoked Norman ;). but connection made by twist joints then inserted into systoflex, then stapled in 3 places to form an air tight pocket. those systems lasted over 50 years.

The telecom and IT world runs on crimped plugs and idc junction boxes, they use gel packed crimps but not solder.

not telling you abandon solder, but like everything - just think it through, no real point in making rods for your back so to speak.

Archived