Security Installer Community

Bell Box Siren Output

Vangellis

Bit of a strange question, however are there any manufacturers of Bell Boxes that provide a unique sound output above and beyond the standard siren.

I ask this as by design the siren sound is very disorientating and it can be hard to actually hone in on which alarm has activated in a residential road (apart from looking which strobe is flashing)

I don;t want to go down the route of annouciators and look a complete pleb, or down the road of multiple sequential alarm types ala Clifford Concept car alarms - maybe just something a little different.

Thoughts welcome...

Vangellis...

Bit of a strange question, however are there any manufacturers of Bell Boxes that provide a unique sound output above and beyond the standard siren.

I ask this as by design the siren sound is very disorientating and it can be hard to actually hone in on which alarm has activated in a residential road (apart from looking which strobe is flashing)

I don;t want to go down the route of annouciators and look a complete pleb, or down the road of multiple sequential alarm types ala Clifford Concept car alarms - maybe just something a little different.

Thoughts welcome...

Vangellis...

You need to ask the same question in the "mickey mouse alarm installers" forum mate..

it can be hard to actually hone in on which alarm has activated in a residential road (apart from looking which strobe is flashing)

If there is more than one activation at the same time in the same road then either it's a power cut and none of the systems are serviced regularly! (if at all) or a smart bomb has gone off near by!.

Bell output switching a relay, 240v mains to the relay, and a cat stuffed into a dummy bell box and connected to the switched side of the relay, makes a unique noise that is sure to draw attention.

It's eyes also make great comfort LED's at night time.

Not sure about the cat idea

I suppose my question is more to do with if any manufacturers have maybe a dual tone output as opposed to a siren

In a built up area the siren tends to bounce off houses in the near vicinity making it more difficult to work out which is actived as opposed to an omni directional tone

No worries if there are none. Just thought I would ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Most piezo sounders have a similar tone. And to be fair most modern sounders use this arrangement.

Its a not a simple one as the emergency services have the same problem and have tried many different tones to help in direction finding. They now use the multitone and white noise. THis seems to be the most effective.

Short answer is no unless you want to use a non security sounder. I have modified sounders in the past to make different tones. SOme sounders have a dip switch arrangement for tone selection. YOu can unsolder this and use relays to chnage the tones etc on the fly.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 3 weeks later...

Bell output switching a relay, 240v mains to the relay, and a cat stuffed into a dummy bell box and connected to the switched side of the relay, makes a unique noise that is sure to draw attention.

It's eyes also make great comfort LED's at night time.

:new_rofl::groupwave::toot:

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived