Security Installer Community

Wireless

Oxford

Hi guys,

I really hope someone can offer me some advice.

I have a potential client who owns a chain of "members lounges" and he has asked me to install CCTV to the premises. The only trouble is, he doesn't want ANY wires on show. This is a major issue as the walls are padded buffalo skin and silk and the ceilings are padded diamond leather.

So, what I am looking for is a good wireless video transmitter and receiver combo for each camera I install. Each site will be having 7 cameras but 2 are already pre-wired already on each site.

The "lounges" are old buildings in London and as you'd expect have rather thick walls but the buildings themselves are not massive but are over 3 floors. I estimate the longest distance to be 30meters (but through solid stone walls)

Anyone have any experience with this?

Where the cameras are to be located they are all close to risers that have power in or have local sockets.

I have never used IP cameras, can someone explain the installation process? Do I need an NVR as opposed to a DVR? The client wants to use the existing DVR's on site.

I was hoping someone could suggest a reliable 2.4gHz (similar) transmission device.

Dilithium crystal PSU? :rolleyes:

You watch to much TV, everyone knows they are not real.

Where the cameras are to be located they are all close to risers that have power in or have local sockets.

I have never used IP cameras, can someone explain the installation process? Do I need an NVR as opposed to a DVR? The client wants to use the existing DVR's on site.

I was hoping someone could suggest a reliable 2.4gHz (similar) transmission device.

If power is so easy to run surely you can get cat5/coax in at same time?

Re existing DVRs, are they any good?

Yes, you would need NVR/NAS if using IP.

Try get client to dig deep and go poe, that would save on PSU and keep cabling to a minimum.

Ah, but he's from Wales boyo, strange things go on in them there hills.

Mine have been running fine for 10 years on just 5 grams!

Ah, but he's from Wales boyo, strange things go on in them there hills.

You met my ex boss didn't you Andrew, I rest my case :whistle:

He's a bit of a fussy guy, really wants to keep the existing equipment and add to it. The original equipment was installed during a refurb, hence he is keen not to have wires on show and truthfully there is no way to get video cables to cameras without wireless - as much as I'd prefer to have hard wired.

I cant see wireless working across 3 floors without any clear line of sight

Are there any existing cameras? You can use SNT units to get 2 video signals down 1 coax, not cheap though

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived