Security Installer Community

Spacing Control Panels Further From The Wall

james.wilson

So if there are regs for how much space is behind a panel, all the panels I've seen mounted in lofts between 2 bits of timber dont comply????

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

rarly with a gal as it has that huge opening.

but i think it rasies an issue i hadnt thought of before.

You say a 'huge' opening, is this because those that use it are very short sighted, or is this Reg to prevent rodents nesting in galaxi panels? :).

Wonder how msny panels out there i've seen the case stood off on conduit connectors or cable glands?

Sometimes the chosen position surface is so ruff or poor you have to fit a board to stop warping the case if nothing else, beer cellars in old boozers come to mind (not old boozers in the cellar before anyone chimes in :) ).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

No they don't

To be clear, regs say batten off is totally banned or has a maximum thickness?

You could use 2 bits if scaffold planks side by side, but any gap between then it would not then comply?

Do seem a petty rule, what's the harm as long as case is secured properly, screwed through batten into main building structure and tampered to the same? (i.e. not to the batten).

Some houses have tiles, no choice but ti drill through to battens to fix EWD's, proper back tamper can get real tricky.

Arfur

I think caution should be used when not using existing structure ie adding something that could be argued is weaker than the wall. As I said its something I hadn't thought of before, ie spacing, i wouldn't leave the back open.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guess most would be the same, panels differ in how much space there is, but what us 'acceptable' to one is different to another engineer.

A decent void behind aids wiring ease snd panel neatness, arguments both ways could be had.

Arfur

Archived