Security Installer Community

Ip Alarm Signalling

james.wilson

Arf, a packet can be a 2 way thing without port forwarding.

for instance do you have port 80 forwarded to your pc? if not how on earth does the data from the webserver make it to your browser???

hope you see my point.

Your so courtious. RTFI

Customers!

Arf, a packet can be a 2 way thing without port forwarding.

for instance do you have port 80 forwarded to your pc? if not how on earth does the data from the webserver make it to your browser???

hope you see my point.

Port 80 is a default port, usully left open for email traffic etc. i don't use 80 for DVRs but a port number well away from usual geek usage so Mr Iam an IT wiz don't confict but duplicating on it (SystemQ tip).

just i'd have thought (well assumed) the same 'bullet proofing' stratagey would be employed for IP signalling?

i suppose my main worries are with the physiscal problems, fine if the site has a proper comms room under lock and key, and an IT engineer who marshals it properly, but how many sites have that?

if i do the LAN infrastructure instal and design, there is always a lockable comms cabinet, may not be super high security bank safe level but at least needs a key or an effort to open it. not always the cabinet is in a 'secure from idiots' location. Often becomes an ssue to have enough space for a decent UPS in many shops, think money exchange bars, just enough room for 3 spare biro's and wearing pull over.

Norman

i said earlier i know little about the implementation of IP signaling, membership of a forum such as this is so anyone can learn,

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

port 80 is the default http port. port 25 is the email port (smtp) and there are others for pop3 and imap.

You only need to forward to a port if you have additional servers. In your case with a dvr you are adding a web server and will use whatever port you like. As long as something is listening and you tell the prowser to use an alternative port it will work.

No source ports and destination ports are different beasts. Its not the same as your thinking it is.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Arf, the IP signalling device connects outbound to the ARC, therefore no ports need forwarding. Once the connection is made the port is then held open for two way traffic.

This could be a problem on sites which have outbound ports blocked, but if outbound ports are blocked I guarantee they will have their own IT support ,so they can deal with it

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Arf, the IP signalling device connects outbound to the ARC, therefore no ports need forwarding. Once the connection is made the port is then held open for two way traffic.

This could be a problem on sites which have outbound ports blocked, but if outbound ports are blocked I guarantee they will have their own IT support ,so they can deal with it

qfa

cheers Bref,

Unchartered territory for me, i really do appreciate the help.

I had thought only port 80 was open by default in routers with 8080 for remote Admin i(f allowed).

Not had the opportunity ti study more exotic uses of ports or within infrastructures.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

nothing univited no your right.

but just like you stream content from tsi and various other websites without pertforwarding (sic) you dont need port forwarding for a 2 way comm session.

im sure jim (well i hope) will be a long shortly to explain the ins and outs

Happy New Year Gents, hope you all had a great break.

Just read through the comments and I could go on for hours..but will try not to.

Port Forwarding is not required. All IP comms should be outbound to the ARC with and acknowledgement being returned within the same "session". Unless you are in a managed network of some sorts you should not need to touch the router...period. Domestics/SMEs are a doddle to install.

Don't get hung up with CCTV based systems and IP based Alarm signalling. CCTV does require specific port allocation for outbound and inbound trafffic, and usually a fixed network facing address. It is a complex installation as there is inbound connectivity required. IP Alarm signalling is not. CCTV based systems usually take up heaps of band width, the best ones don't. The most experianced CCTV Image transmission people in the business were/are Adpro, that's why you pay more for the equipment. They can transmit and handle low bandwidth high quality delivery.

UPS - Unplugging etc. The equipment should be able to determine between loss off comms through a change in network routing (i.e firewall changes etc) and someone powering down or disconnecting the equipment from the network. If you have GPRS as a backup your provider should be able to tell you BEFORE you head off to site which of these has failed. Some can...you don't need to UPS the router. Choose a provider who can provide you with the support you require.

I constantly hear the "oh there's a danger that someone will unplug the device". I wont say it doesnt happen, but I can tell you I could count on one hand how many times this happens a year. The trick is to be able to tell you guys that this is what has happened. Your equipment should be supplied with a tamper shroud too.

People generally don't turn off their routers either..and you can soon tell if they do. And advise accordingly.

Tri path signalling - you could have it but I would'nt bother ("you would say that" I hear you say). All networks have the same reliability, at least 99.8% and just get better and better. A quick observation for you from our systems - every New Year the radio network gets hammered. We all know that. So do the providers. The GPRS network has gotten better and better over the past 5 years. This New Year we did not have one single phone call reagarding GPRS loss, and there were no mass GPRS outages.

Voltage on the line will dissapear, so PSTN as our industry knows it, is ultimatley on the way out. I think it will be a lot faster than some may have you believe. If you have fibre to the house the only device that may have voltage will be the end of line kit nailed to the wall. So your voltage indication will probably be useless.

Hope that gives you something to chew on for now. There is a tendancy among us to give give all the reasons under the sun not to do something, when it is blindingly obvious that you should be.

Jim

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Archived