Security Installer Community

First Fire Alarm Engineer To Be Prosecuted

james.wilson

Hi Guys

After reading the above article, it appears that the poor bloke could not have seen what the photo evidence revieled as he was not the engineer who actually visited the premises. Also the alarm did activate so the alarm was working.

So if these are the facts (and having never been one to accept what is written in the meadia as 100% fact) my conclusion is that it is just another travesty of justice in order to make money for the government.

If I was Mr Morris I would take the following actions:

1) Appeal the conviction

2) Become a one man band (so I could take responsibility only for my actions)

3) Set up my defence based on it being unreasonable to be expected to carry the can for actions or non actions of others. It would also be unreasonable to go to site after his employees to check on evrything they did or did not do as to do said things he may as well have done the services too.

On the subject of documentation....it appears you are dammed if you have it and you are dammed if you don't...interpritation is another subject and those in this case seem to be straining the gnat and gulping down the cammel. I know this is dangerous but it is my opinion (not having all the facts)that this is a case of scapegoatism based on pumping up trivial faults (or more likely non best pratices) to gain the prosecution so that the law can be stretched (more like abused)and using the effects of a death to blow it out of all proportion to take the cause of the fire out of the line of sight (where there's blame there is a claim let's see who we can take the can for us) According to this report the judge is reported to have said "in no way was Mr Morris responsible for the death of the victum"

Nuff said

best wishes

Vince

PS Jeff Stay calm mate if you want me to defend your actions just let me know don't become paranoid (oops too late LOL)

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

signed for letter, outlining the fault and their liability.

I suppose the soap in the shower may be similar to a puck?

Hey Norman similar but not the same.....puts a new angle on what it means to be clean living though!

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

signed for letter, outlining the fault and their liability.

The job sheet clearly defines my engineers action including statement that he reccomends new panel and our office to quote same. Customer had quote same day. Never the less no harm in chassing it up i havent got enough time for prison.

On another matter i got a call from a residential complex where we maintain about 6 fire alarms to communal areas. the call came in at 2am and was informed there was a power outage. Problem here is the panels are all basic key operated and different. I refused to go out. Fwit rang a diiferent eng later who went out against a fire alarm contract number to find the mains had restored but a poo intruder was making a noise. Im invoicing this as a NON Contract call and from what im told my call will be more than the tennant paid for the intruder install. Why dont developers take Fire alarm design serious Coded panels would have ben a much better option.

Customers!

One system I worked on was in a sheltered home.

I was there to check out the alarm and locks, which were all good as we had the contract for a few years previous. ( Audit day)

There was a fire.

On the ground floor.

Fire escapes were used and as planned gave a safe route out and worked.

Unfortunatly one couple decided to take the lift, the hubby was a great laugh, his wife on the long slide of dementia.

The fire officer said he thinks when the lift door opened they were hit by a volcano......several 1000 degrees anyway.

I still see them in my minds eye at lunch in the home ( always there for one reason or another, such are council contracts). Fine upstanding old people.

It breaks my heart to see people like this injured, killed. There is no other way of saying it.

They were wrong to use the lift, although the husband could have used the stairs. The wife not.

Nothing made the lift drop to ground floor and stay there, regs were not about for that then.

If it had been stopped they would have had a few more years together.

I was also acting as a locksmith for the company, we did board ups for empty properties, the cops asked for the lobby to be secured.

We made a partition up and boareded it up as they did the investigation.

I will never forget the bodies being taken out.

Turned out it was a visitor dropping a cigarette on his way out.

I really wanted to say a final piece here, but I cannot.

I will though, people who know fire systems keep doing the good work

Arseholes that chance it, go die and fester in hell.

and remember, life changes and bites you on the bottom. Unless I see you first and .......................

On another matter i got a call from a residential complex where we maintain about 6 fire alarms to communal areas. the call came in at 2am and was informed there was a power outage. Problem here is the panels are all basic key operated and different. I refused to go out.

unless they where expecting somebody to come & reset foc I can't see any reason to refuse

Why dont developers take Fire alarm design serious Coded panels would have ben a much better option.

much prefer the user controls to be enabled by a key,

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

unless they where expecting somebody to come & reset foc I can't see any reason to refuse

Mr H its a mains fault buzzer where does this need a reset. The mains restores the buzzer silences

much prefer the user controls to be enabled by a key,

Again i have to disagree. I have a lot of key opperated fire panels under contract, inevitably our enginneers have to use our own keys as the site key goes missing. Every fire site we have has a reset procedure in AM under "private notes" this will bring a clock icon up on the start screen which gives our admin immediate information to customers.

Customers!

Mr H its a mains fault buzzer where does this need a reset. The mains restores the buzzer silences

depends on product, chloride tat don't

Again i have to disagree. I have a lot of key opperated fire panels under contract, inevitably our enginneers have to use our own keys as the site key goes missing.

from my own experience I've yet to meet the end user who can operate a conventional panel with a code dispite the no. label taped on the front? (menvier being the worse(rubber or 80's video buttons))

Every fire site we have has a reset procedure in AM under "private notes" this will bring a clock icon up on the start screen which gives our admin immediate information to customers.

do us a screen grab as I like to pinch your good ideas :gimme:

PS I oftend have the key secured to the panel

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

from my own experience I've yet to meet the end user who can operate a conventional panel with a code dispite the no. label taped on the front? (menvier being the worse(rubber or 80's video buttons)) You dont need them to understand just read them the instructions

do us a screen grab as I like to pinch your good ideas :gimme:

Open a customer account, click edit, go to private notes and type anything you feel important "fire alarm reset procedure". Go back to contract Database, You now have a clock in the top right hand corner. Move cursor over clock and your important note pops up

PS I oftend have the key secured to the panel

I often tape a spare on top

Customers!

Archived