Security Installer Community

Menvier Ts 900 Remote Reset

jaelectrics

Rather check zones then crash on a large system, beats doing all the descriptors again.

descriptions change, meaningless to ppl on large systems, not enought letters etc. better to set up system you & they agree from the start + then got written prog sheet signed off, not assumed.

descriptions change, meaningless to ppl on large systems, not enought letters etc. better to set up system you & they agree from the start + then got written prog sheet signed off, not assumed.

i said we check, not assume. Even large sites are worth some description eg Maths block

thats why I'd do full crash. then you have to prog yourself, as you are responsible thereafter.

Depends on the request.

Then log it on the docket.

But I do agree with you in principle.

default the the panel without checking what's on each zone prior is a well risky strategy, could be a dead zem with now vital zones omitted, if no spec on site could be missed, or cause grief if reinstated.

one of my installs has had builders in, they concealed the expander under a new wall, ok at the moment, but say I'd dumped a zone by agreement due to pir under floor boards.

New owner moves in, you take over and default and real kack likely results.

Risk might be small, but when it happens its a real pia, i've had to sort this for companies who were not so careful.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Agreed, others have said what they would do, nobody saud what you would do.

Fine for an experienced alarm engineer, but before you go off on one, perhaps temper your advice and comment more towards this o/p's likely benefit as an electrician working in his clients home, alarm no longer works and he feels to dome degree responsible - which he is not, as client should have system maintained

So, with respect to him I assume has very limited knowledge of more sophisticated alarm systems, I have advised him of best practices base on that assumption.

Don't matter if the panel is an old scanny or a full up G3 serving a shopping center, advising against dropping the program without first making sure of the systems background and configuration, is simply prudent cautious advice.

Arfur

For jaelectrics/

the problem you have had is imho is simply not down to you, your client has not had the system maintained, or has but not often enough.

The battery has failed, they don't last forever, on average 3-5 years, your works usually require the power to be removed for more than a few minutes, this scenario is very common.

Had there been a local power down your client would be in this situation, I fear you are getting in way above your responsibilities, while i commend your level of care, you do now need to back away and tell the client to call in a pro alarm c,o for your own legal protection.

Should they unfortunately suffer an intrusion, a loss occurs then be thought of as a result of your attempts, alarm fails to activate you could be held liable in law for tampering, rather than as intended - helping responsibly with all good will.

Unfortunately we live in a no win no fee world! One where we get blamed for our good and best intentions.

Arfur

Archived