Security Installer Community

How Many Hours To Install?

broadband

Lol I never felt the urge.

Was only mentioning why I said use a template :P

Each to his own, whatever works best for you.

You do come across some terrible ones though, worst are usually where the client gets his carpenters to do it. Saw some just last week, Local council, supplied their own and carpenters had fitted all but two to the unprotected side with Z & L, and the others without pins or rubber washers. nice tidy job, but just wrong.

Not only that, theyd used external mags on internal wooden doors, so no way to hide the cable.

My 2 bobs worth,

Fit the lock, put the bolt in the armature, hold it in place with 2 fingers, slam the door, but not nott hard, that leaves a mark for the hole. If you wanna be flash, (or somebodys watching lol) put some tape on the door so it marks that

13mm spade till the point just sticks through, then drill from the other side.

Fit the pins, washers etc, tighten the bolt to mark for the pins, loosen it, drill 8mm holes for the pins.

Always done it that way.

QFA in a sense. I power up lock (on bat sometimes) fit pins (door gets closer to lock this way, stick plate on mag, slam, drill & fit.

Each to his own, whatever works best for you.

You do come across some terrible ones though, worst are usually where the client gets his carpenters to do it. Saw some just last week, Local council, supplied their own and carpenters had fitted all but two to the unprotected side with Z & L, and the others without pins or rubber washers. nice tidy job, but just wrong.

Not only that, theyd used external mags on internal wooden doors, so no way to hide the cable.

They are all fitted to unsecure side where i live, looks like they couldn't be arsed with z & l.

i fit armature 1st (ensuring mag will fit after), chop out the header stop, door closed pencil mark door frame line, measure down for bolt centre add 5-8 mm depends on mags needs and spot, measure for pins and spot (using spirit level with pin/centre marked in pen

Drlll through door for bolt with a small drill, then from each side with shsrp flat bit to meet in middle, another operation, but only adds seconds with less chance of spattering one of the facings veneers if the tip shoots through a hidden void or snags. Sometimes I've hit a large unexpected cavity, where the wood strips were short leaving no support, a small pilot is far easier to repair, drill for pins.

Offer mag, power it up then either mark through the holding bolt holes or if retained type give the bolts a tap using a drift to spot. fit plate, i do only 2 fixings and test, then if i have to adjust i use another pair (I'm just cautious), when happy fit remaining screws and bolt up with thread lock as final touch.

BTW Tend to space the EMX well away from the REX push where I can, otherwise numb nutts despatch riders with bike gloves on or visitors will operate the EMX Grrrrrrrrrrr! lol!

Don't say way is the best or fastest, just comfortable for me and easy to replicate,

Not over keen on door entry/access tbh, but tends to pay well, and don't tend to drag you out of bed as much either ;)

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Intresting on our own way comment but most seem to fit lock first. Me i place mag to without mountplate and draw 2 pencil marks in one corner. this is where the armature will be fitted. i then fit armature and mark mag position from the armature. Never crossed my mind to fit mag first. I always use spade bit and as already said once the point pops through i then finish from opposite side.

Customers!

Just to add, other advantage for me using a pilot drill, if I go in a bit pi$$ed its easier to recover.

Bet you lot are laughing your heads off now - you wrotten gits ;) I wear varifocal lens, excellent for only needing one pair if glasses, but alters the image I see bit like a parabolic mirror, so unless I'm dead in line I can be miles off true.

Think might start using round sirens, round panels, round pirs - anyone know of round maglocks .............:)

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived