Security Installer Community

Convictions

mma

Can someone with a theft conviction work for an SSAIB company. I know a local company with an engineer with several criminal convictions. He has served his sentences in full.

My understanding is it depends on conviction and whether the conviction is deemed spent or not. as this is theft i would consider the candidate would be deamed unsuitable for employment within the industry.

Now i know this will come as a shock butwe do actualy security screen ALL our candidates. The biggest stumbling block we have is with SSAIB companies who i have come across that clearly dont. There is a definate trend where i cant get any information and the candidates volunteer that they were never screened. i have employed a friend who cleared screening and i know he has a conviction for GBH, this did not effect his suitabilaty for our industry.

Customers!

i have employed a friend who cleared screening and i know he has a conviction for GBH, this did not effect his suitabilaty for our industry.

IMO with this justice system that could happen to any of us. One mans self defence is anothers GBH.

I thought this was the requirement/norm in both camps?

It is, and of course there will be companies on both sides that don't do it, but the world looks different for some when they are waving the NSI flag.

My understanding is it depends on conviction and whether the conviction is deemed spent or not. as this is theft i would consider the candidate would be deamed unsuitable for employment within the industry.

with the "Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974" I'm under the impression you won't get to know if they have a spent conviction nor do they have to declare it.

In fact I've googled this, If I'm reading this right a 17 yr could get a 2yr sentence & be "rehabilitated" 5yrs after conviction ?

In theory this would show on a PNC for 10yrs after conviction, aged 28 could be a suitable candidate for an alarm co. with couple of yrs working with unapproved co's or IT ect... 18 months in strangeways could read 6th Form Collage on the CV?

Different ages & convictions have different implications along repeat offenders, however a clean vetting form don't mean that there not dishonest !

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

.................. employed a friend who cleared screening and i know he has a conviction for GBH, this did not effect his suitabilaty for our industry.

now working for the 'accounts' dpartment :whistle: .

when i first started up i used a neighbour, basically a pair of hands to help pull cables on sites, as for some reason i had picked up loads of smaller site work on yuppie flats in SW london. he'd been unemployed for 11 years. i knew he had worked as an aerial rigger in the past, said the advent of alloy based aerials meant less work from corroding mild steel ones, so he was made redundant could not get work elswhere.

initially when i asked him to work for me, he was so short of confidence he nearly refussed saying he was not sure he was capable. but turned out with some encouragement, he was a really good engineer and a real hard worker, we also shared the same sense of humour so had some cracking laughs, which helps the day through.

i only found out later on he had convictions for car theft in his early teens, he used to go to Southend for a night out, spend all his money and knick a car to get home, he got caught and jailed after the 3rd time.

he had told me about this simply to be upfront, mutual trust, when my work moved on to more private houses, he said i had given him a chance to dig his way out to a better life, he was now buying his council house. i had no idea about his convictions so he risked me sacking him for the sake of what he now concidered a freindship - which we still are freinds.

he worked for me for about 3 years, and was then offered a job with one of my bigger clients (they wanted me, but i don't do working anyone else ;) ) where he worked his way up from a 'lowly' door entry installations engineer, supervisor, saleman, technical head to being a company director, onlyv retiring last year (he is older then me).

modern times with CRO checks required, he would likely still be on the dole today, while eventualy trained his son, his son -in-law and several members of his extended family, all i've retained as freinds and regarded as valuable assetts.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks. You have all helped. The convictions were for theft of a police bike and tax fraud although I accept that lots of people would not consider the 2nd offence a crime.

Archived