Security Installer Community

Cctv Fps Comparison Video

james.wilson

After previous discussions i decided a real fps side by side comparison was needed. Ive laways thought that quality was more important then fps, but after off board discussions with members it seems that reducing quality to keep 25fps or 'real time' is done. I have always though this is a bad idea as IMO 25fps is rarely needed. IMHO 5-7fps is more than enough for most views.

This is not a quality preview, purly a fps comparison

Anyway

1 fps

3 fps

5 fps

7 fps

13 fps

25 fps

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Agreed had a shopping centre that had an incident,where I was told what to set the DVR at. Playback proved they had with the client made an error. From then on they generally fitted larger HD`s or reduced FPS on existing on PMV`s.

I would prefer-and set my systems to-higher quality pics and a lesser frame rate, normally around 8-25(norm 12.5), dependent on system, you get a lot of shots even at 8 fps-imagine how far the average person/vehicle moves in that time, to get more than enough footage-quality of that footage is what matters.

agreed. I took the above shots, one of people as the target, and one as vehicles. Granted they are not fast moving vehicles but indicative of industrial estate etc speed (20-30 mph)

From the above i would say that anything above 13 fps is wasted. While 25 fps has its advantages it shoulod NOT imo be used at the expense of quality

Good comparison demo, very site need dependent regarding you choices.

general view as in the video I agree, but where small high value items are, then you also need high frame rates. those 'hops' could be the difference in catching a theif palming a ring for instance. So a mix of high frame rate and high res is sometimes needed, along with intelligent camera locations.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

agreed, i was talking general view

but if you had high value items and slight of hand detection was required, you probably shouldnt be using pal cameras (unless small close views) and then you would need 25 fps and quality would be even more important.

Archived