Security Installer Community

New Home Cctv 2

Hi

Thanks for all the decent replys I have recieved to my previous post. I'll ignore the shall I say "Less Than Gentlemanly" ones. For some reason, my previous post was locked.

Yes I am genuinely looking to install a home CCTV system.

I choose CCTV42 after looking around the internet for kit. Unfortunatly £1000 is the top end of my budget so I am destined to purchase unbranded makes. I thought i'd go for reasonably cameras and ensured that the DVR could watermark for evidence purposes.

I have looked at the likes of Maplin (dismissed them fairly quickly) and CCTV Direct and was tempted by their gold kit. However after speaking to the CCTV42 guy's was impressed with their views on CCD's and assoicated electronics.

I intend to mount dome cameras on The soffits looking across the garden at 15m and to the road at 10m at the front of the house and 15m across to my gate at the back. This should cover the main entrance points of the house. The wiring going throug the loft into a spare room where the DVR and monitor will sit.I wish to record a good level of detail and face recognition.

I have provisionally selected CCTV42, open face Dome cameras with 3.8 - 11mm lens coupled with their diamond electronics pack as they call it.

It was during googling CCTV42 that I came across this site so I thought I'd ask for some adivce.

There seems to be lots of people who rubbish systems at this price and others who say they could install for less than that. However they have not indicated what they would install.

Thanks for all the geniune replies.

Just wondering why the mention of the supplier so many times in one post, hopefully just me being cynical.

Nah, My view still stands.

Less than average kit. What's more, damned if they came up in a Google search when looking for kit/systems.

To say the the kit is better than that on cctvdirect when this company publish little to no specs is a little odd.

Now, if i wanted to buy a second hand motor, then i might choose this company. Seems they do quite well at it. Certainly a tidy wedge in the bank.

Hi

Mentioned supplier so people could understand who I was talking about and in what context. I take Cubits point on published spec and will did a little deeper before purchase. Definatly have no connection with them before google searching.

What kit would you recomment for that amount of money Cubit?

Hi

Thanks for all the decent replys I have recieved to my previous post. I'll ignore the shall I say "Less Than Gentlemanly" ones. For some reason, my previous post was locked.

I choose CCTV42 after looking around the internet for kit. Unfortunatly £1000 is the top end of my budget so I am destined to purchase unbranded makes. I thought i'd go for reasonably cameras and ensured that the DVR could watermark for evidence purposes.

I have looked at the likes of Maplin (dismissed them fairly quickly) and CCTV Direct and was tempted by their gold kit. However after speaking to the CCTV42 guy's was impressed with their views on CCD's and assoicated electronics.

I intend to mount dome cameras on The soffits looking across the garden at 15m and to the road at 10m at the front of the house and 15m across to my gate at the back. This should cover the main entrance points of the house. The wiring going throug the loft into a spare room where the DVR and monitor will sit.I wish to record a good level of detail and face recognition.

I have provisionally selected CCTV42, open face Dome cameras with 3.8 - 11mm lens coupled with their diamond electronics pack as they call it.

It was during googling CCTV42 that I came across this site so I thought I'd ask for some adivce.

There seems to be lots of people who rubbish systems at this price and others who say they could install for less than that. However they have not indicated what they would install.

Hi, my bold - won`t work, sorry.

All sorts of reasons but at those distances and heights mainly focus and "depth of field" - just trying to be realistic.

Paul.

Nightrider

YOu might do better if you asked (as you have now but in a seperate thread) what was best, with a budget of X, to achieve xyz.

I have to agree that there is much much better value for money, and as your buying equipment only the knowledge of the guys selling it is less important than the kit itself. But when choosing an installer to oposite is true.

I would split your budget into component parts, ie upto £600 for the dvr etc. and request infomation on that.

Assuming you are genuine and not linked to this co then we will be able to offer true independant opinion.

Id start on the dvr first as IMHO this is the most expensive single piece of kit (usually).

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi

Mentioned supplier so people could understand who I was talking about and in what context. I take Cubits point on published spec and will did a little deeper before purchase. Definatly have no connection with them before google searching.

What kit would you recomment for that amount of money Cubit?

I'd be going back to the cctvdirect site again and having another look. Whilst i've not used one of their DVR's, i have had a look/play with them in their showroom. Not bad units. You will also notice a serious difference in price with the cameras. Have a look round there and i'm sure you;ll find a good mix at the right price. Also, give them a ring, they have a security industry background so can advise you better than a 2nd hand car dealer can.

Once you've found something suitable, by all means see if you can beat it elsewhere, but they are pretty good price wise.

Hi

thank you for the clarifications,

lets clear things up a bit, there is absolutely no 'dishonour' in using cheaper kit, while as professionals we might advise you to buy the best you can afford, we also have the know how to set it up to the best it can perform, there's no point buying am exotic sports car if you can't keep it tuned, or understand the terms in the manual. for that reason i'd say a cheaper kit in a pro's hands will work better than an expensive kit in a novices hands, but you could be one o the many good exceptions.

the hardest bit is usually conquering the manuals terminology, and while the very cheapest could be said is more likely to go wrong or have lower performance image quality, it is not a given by any means. even expensive kit can be/go rouge, or be just plain unsuitable in your particular situation.

as for camera placement, if too low its more vulnerable to be attacked, but up high on the barge boards it will be more likely only get the top of heads, so unless only baldies visit you, your unlikely to get a 'bonce print' off it just reflection maybe, even with super high resolution kit :).

be aware of lighting or the Sun blinding the cameras, or it will cause 'halo' effects, that where the cameras contrast compensation causes the face to be blacked out against a strong background light source.

on the issue of TVL, 470 lines used to considered to be fairly Hi Res in budget cameras, but medium res now, current model can sport 600+ TVL, so prices on the lower specification cameras fall (but you still get very good images), if perhaps less range from the older designed LED lighting for instance, there more to it than that, this is not a tutorial.

oh! and yes i would supply and install for that within reasonable traveling distance (subject to discussing suitability further with you), but unfortunately i'm also to busy for several months ahead.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived