Security Installer Community

Help A Lost Sole Trader Starting Out

Oxford

word of mouth, but takes time to build up client base so the recommendation above about fitting for friends and family is a good recommendation.

And at the minute google is me best mate.

yes, ignore me at your peril. i`ve just spent the best part of 1/4 million getting what the OP wants, has he got deep pockets?

Safe Trader??

I'd save the money. Never heard of it until you flagged it up.

Hi Cubit, they advertise on the radio a lot,

http://safetrader.ie/

only dealings i've personally had with them, was with the one old client.

i used to look after a massive block of flats for the access controls, alarms. pagers and porter call systems (which was a special one off design) and the CCTv.

they asked me if i would join the organisation, apparently because their new H&S consultants said they were 'exposed' if they used any contractors that were not affiliated to such a scheme. hmm, not sure how that works as i have a £10m PL cover with never a claim on it, not even for a broken window. (so an example of perhaps talking the wrong guy then lol!).

at 1st, i said ok, but only if they paid the fee's @ £140.00 PA. as i was not making enough to cover it for one site. 2 weeks went by they decided not to, and sent me a letter saying they will no longer be using me services due to my 'reticence' to join safe contractors :rolleyes: .

tbh i could not have been much happier, been considering to be rid for about a year, but i liked the staff so it like walking awayy from a dozen mates i'd made over the years. the managing agents would never spend any money, and this meant it really needed serious updating. discussions prior they would plead poverty

being located in W1 and now i have reduced my client base there to avoid the travelling and congestion charging, its the sort of job you want to choke off. so decided stuff that, i had looked after the kit for 20+ years without incident let someone else grow the grey hairs over it.

did get a sort of sting in the tail, about 9 months later i was contacted by a firm who i've worked with at times on the more exotic or challenging installs for years. they were quoting to take it over and were given my number by the Site Manager.

the systems integration was to complex every thing was knitted together, so they were asking me to return as a subby. not my bag for long term arrangements and like 9 months on of foreign untrained fingers poking about in several massive and complex j/b's - no way matey just really no no way :P .

that firm declined it (very wise, so no idea how they got on. operationally, to replicate what they had but with new kit was really the only option for anyone to consider going forward.

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

They even list fortune tellers and door fitters.........................

Think the .IE gave it away...........

ROFL, even with toothache!

This is great knowledge, I can't thank you guys enough for the invaluable information and stories!!

Just one more question I have been meaning to ask;

How do you all manage your charging for customers? I am thinking a callout fee including the first hour to cover my travel time to a job and then a standard hourly fee after that for break down/ emergency call outs?

or for an install I guess its going to be by way of a fixed quote unless the client makes changes to the job?

Would I be asking too much of guys to give me rough idea of what you do for pricing? What you charge? ***hangs head in shame***

Do you do standard contracts and comprehensive contracts?

I think for a one man band starting up, I could only offer standard contracts (unless it is obviously going to benefit me to do an all inclusive comprehensive contract) where by the client pays for parts and labour?

Any input on these questions would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks!!

This is great knowledge, I can't thank you guys enough for the invaluable information and stories!!

Just one more question I have been meaning to ask;

How do you all manage your charging for customers? I am thinking a callout fee including the first hour to cover my travel time to a job and then a standard hourly fee after that for break down/ emergency call outs?

or for an install I guess its going to be by way of a fixed quote unless the client makes changes to the job?

Would I be asking too much of guys to give me rough idea of what you do for pricing? What you charge? ***hangs head in shame***

Do you do standard contracts and comprehensive contracts?

I think for a one man band starting up, I could only offer standard contracts (unless it is obviously going to benefit me to do an all inclusive comprehensive contract) where by the client pays for parts and labour?

Any input on these questions would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks!!

Your method is correct, I worked out about 8 years ago that it costs about £32.50 to send an engineer somewhere, including vehicle costs, phones, admin,training,insurance, etc, etc. You would be surprised how much it all adds up. If you still want to be in business next year you must make a profit on every job you do if you dont then when a product fails to no fault of your own you will soon find that your working for a loss.

The cost will have gone up now btw, you will have slightly less overheads than me though.

It would also depend on your immediate competition rather than what we charge, up north they put alarms in for a bag of crisps, Londons a bit dearer. Get your mates to get some quotes from locals

This must be the very worst time for a new start-up

The new government needs to get the country out of a financial hole so they will be cutting back sharply on public spending ........ so all the companies that have been doing council/NHS/school work will be looking for work in the private sector.

I predict a serious squeeze on new installs. Existing companies with lot's of contracts should be OK, but new companies? Hard times ahead!

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived