Security Installer Community

Help A Lost Sole Trader Starting Out

Oxford

Thanks for the advise guys.

But I really don't understand why I am "late for the party!? And why is "half my family" my market place?

Advertising and flyering is going to get me business, surely?

Saturated market??

Advertising and flyers.

If only it was that easy.

No one wants to put you off but you can, as you already alluded to, be protected when part of a large company.

Look at things not as a provider of a service, but as a customer, then consider which provider, product, service you would choose - and why?

flyering wont, the dicussion on flyering has been done to death and it doesnt work, ive tried it, never again.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Thanks for the advise guys.

But I really don't understand why I am "late for the party!? And why is "half my family" my market place?

Advertising and flyering is going to get me business, surely?

You think? I wonder why nobody else thought of that?

Security is a begrudged purchase, nobody buys an alarm because they like the look of it. Most buy because their insurance company says they have to have one, others because they've just been burgled, and theres the odd few that want one because they dont want to be burgled, but they are a minority.

starting up is like standing at the edge of a crevice and judging can you jump that gap safely or fall through.

well known i have a completely different business model to most, but that works for me, and seemingly causes severe jealousy and irritation in others, what it is not illegal or immoral, especially compared to some MPs expense antics and a certain disgraced Dutches, so i have absolutely no idea why - but hey ho! :rolleyes: .

like you, at least i was formerly trained and on one of the biggest blue chip firms, i'm infamously proud not to be a member of any inspectorate. others on here have bought into companies and good on them, but some moved up spooned into dads footprints, cryptic, acidic tonged from lack of personality or ability, will comment with out the authority of having worked for anyone special.

personally, i don't advertise at all apart from cards, bell overs and on going recommendations. effectively new clients have to find me, which means they are likely to want my services and i don't come cheap.

that's possibly why i'm such a total business failure, i've only traded for a mere 27 years, my track record is bad as i've never been bankrupt, i owe no monies to friends, suppliers or the tax man, so between us coming from the same background lets upgrade me to UTTER failure.

that reminds me, a better, less confusing way perhaps than IAS put it, although his sentiments about sales have some merit don't cut your throat out of depression just yet. if you start up on early works perhpas lasting months, it is sustaining and attracting future work that is much harder, your are moving away from a captive sales source, also from a company car all repairs fuel paid, regular wage packet to a very varying income and self support, so you have to be resilient, your service experience will help ihope, BUT remember the buck now stops with you for everything under the sun.

joining an inspectorate, in time will help and this will shock others i'd recommend it these days, but do so in right time, if you will be in this trade for many years it then makes sense. there are expenses involved which will take time to filter through into profits, so ask yourself can and when you handle that wait in slower times?

also ask and work on what are you offering to a total stranger? you will have to convince them if your to make any new lines of revenue, unlike picking up a PJ where they know you, now place yourself in their shoes, and ask what do you see in yourself and offer, and what advantages over the competition do you have to blow a trumpet about.

tough love maybe nd it is not going to easy peezy, so best to be sure now.

i would not only install alarms but higher margin CCTv, door entry, access control and networking, being more versatile makes it easier to pull in work from other sources, so offer additional works like a door entry or a camera when fitting an alarm, don't pressure just suggest, and it will feel to them more like their idea ;)

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

like you, at least i was formerly trained and on one of the biggest blue chip firms, i'm infamously proud not to be a member of any inspectorate. others on here have bought into companies and good on them, but some moved up spooned into dads footprints, cryptic, acidic tonged from lack of personality or ability, will comment with out the authority of having worked for anyone special.

Ouch.

Bit of an acerbic statement is it not?

As for the training at a certain large blue chip, hardly a ringing endorsement these days.

Ouch.

As for the training at a certain large blue chip, hardly a ringing endorsement these days.

I wish I had been given a firm to play with.

Ouch.

sadly maybe you maybe right, but back then it really was a pride issue

not sure if you realised it but suddenly in some ways you have almost aligned yourself with the intended but misunderstood thrust in my very 1st ever post.

took more time than i had expected to make such progress :rolleyes:

i never worked for ATD proper, just Honeywell Shield and left just before it got bought out.

regs

Arfur Mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived