Security Installer Community

Abel Engineer Code

pnburton

:oops: Sorry about that. I thought it was pretty basic ....... but the rest of my post stands.

Feel free :lol: you have seen my post in trade, just keeping you upto speed, it is Grade 3 in the large metal housing, although we prefer the 872.

I don't see an issue if its off contract, although they would be better with a bells only contract if nothing else. If not i would have no issue unlocking it, as long as i was off contract.

OK i see your point but from our point of view ie if it were a SIA customer then we would charge to do the above, ie a visit is a visit. Agreed once there then we would do as needed for no additional charge.

The only way we wouldnt charge is if it was cancelled before the maintenance ran out, maybe that might be a way around it

doesnt matter if the maintenance is due or not,customers leave for three reasons,in order.. price,service or moving charge for any you wont get any repeat business and your names worse to the customer than it was,its their kit so they shouldnt be prevented from doing what they want with it or if another company is taken over the system we also prog any code that they request to be progd in so the customer doesnt know it only they do which is then progd to their own code when thay take it over..

also to add to this topic,who has on losing a contract progd a daft code in so no one knows it,when removing systems cut all the cables short out of spite..it boils my.. if i remove a system for a competitor i even mark up the cables when removing the panel..do unto others and all that...

no the new regs do tie a lot into the original installer. ie the regs arnt followed (eg design) then original installer is liable for that and any loss's even if the system is no longer maintained, or (and has been proven in court this one) currently maintained by another provider.

Regulations and complaince etc do not end if the service is terminated anymore. That is why i believe lots of alarm cos will be in court as they will still be held liable for the losses on systems they only installed/designed/commisioned but no longer service.

That is why i see AG's point. I do see yours as well but you need to get something signed passing all liability back when your removing this code etc. ALso why you should keep records for ever..even non maintained stuff

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'm not sure about the new regs but surely the standards only apply to a maintaned system?

In other words what is wrong with giving the customer engineer access on a system which is no longer subject to any regualtory requirements, at the end of the day I could buy a 595 and associated detectors and have engineer access.

Regs say it's so and I stick to it. We don't lock codes in so if a client doesn't want to use us they can default it or get another maintainer to default it. Not my problem.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

doesnt matter if the maintenance is due or not,customers leave for three reasons,in order.. price,service or moving charge for any you wont get any repeat business and your names worse to the customer than it was,its their kit so they shouldnt be prevented from doing what they want with it or if another company is taken over the system we also prog any code that they request to be progd in so the customer doesnt know it only they do which is then progd to their own code when thay take it over..

also to add to this topic,who has on losing a contract progd a daft code in so no one knows it,when removing systems cut all the cables short out of spite..it boils my.. if i remove a system for a competitor i even mark up the cables when removing the panel..do unto others and all that...

Do you light their cigarette when they have finished with you aswell?

:lol:

no the new regs do tie a lot into the original installer. ie the regs arnt followed (eg design) then original installer is liable for that and any loss's even if the system is no longer maintained, or (and has been proven in court this one) currently maintained by another provider.

Regulations and complaince etc do not end if the service is terminated anymore. That is why i believe lots of alarm cos will be in court as they will still be held liable for the losses on systems they only installed/designed/commisioned but no longer service.

That is why i see AG's point. I do see yours as well but you need to get something signed passing all liability back when your removing this code etc. ALso why you should keep records for ever..even non maintained stuff

i cant see how a system no longer maintained is the install companys responsibility,the new maintainer yes,that way get a system installed buy xyz alarms cancel after the first year then get free cover for life..

Had a customer last Sunday phone me asking what was on Zone 5 as it had a fault and would not set.

This customer had no maintenance since 2007 and back then was a late payment customer. I told them there records have now been removed from our system due to no maintenance agreement. I dont keep stuff for ever. He then asked how will i find out, my answer find the spec i left you when we fitted the system.

no i tell them the dangers of smoking and sell them a fire alarm on a 10 year contract... :P its just being professional imo.

We do live in a world that seems to have gone claim crazy so I suppose if you give a customer an engineer code then they corrupt the system they could in theory claim you were negligent in not warning them of the dangers of changing programming parameters etc.

I think in reality the above is a little unlikely though sensible to get a disclaimer signed by the customer.

Has the world gone mad?

If i blow the engine up on my car because I don't tighten a nut up properly with the spanner I bought from Halfords can I claim?

Yes, probably.

Archived