Security Installer Community

So What Is Your Solution?

fastalarms

I have to agree with the most fast

Most of the NSI/SSAIB firms on here had to start off working towards the approvals.

I have looked at your web site and you say you want to improve to a better standard but you offer a system for

Mark Smith, Director, S M Fire & Security Ltd, Bradford

Guest old-hand

Powermax is grade 2 and far better than Yale. Your paying too much for it though, look about more.

As for the rest I agree with the others.

I am aiming to get wher you are eventually. I am sure that the Powermax I do the test install with on Monday will prove to be just as easy as the YALE to fit.

Its not about being easy to fit. Its about doing a good job to the minimum standards we, as professionals have to meet.

The problem for me is NSI.

Lots of your companies were around long before NSI was required and therefore melded into the system.

Since 2005 it has been more difficult to do.

Poppycock. Look up NSCIA

If I could just fit professional alarms instead of the YALE then I would but the infrastructure isn't there yet.

I don't want to be that Cowboy who fits stuff and rips people off but I can't do it by the book either.

You havnt the capital/resourses/skills, so in the mean time you are prepared to rip people off because you cant get in the pro club? Thats not what you are saying?

Would a local alarm company set me on knowing I was gleaning info to set up on my own?

Would you?

So I have a wealth of business experience 25 yrs in fact hence my desire to build a company and employ staff.

I dunno but from reading your posts your furniture business failed not because of cheap imports but because you didnt adapt to a changing market which will happen again as below

Your products may be

I came on this forum looking for advice.

What I get instead is abuse. I have spelled out my aims and my mission but wearily I get the same old same old.

I went to a new housing estate Yesterday looking to offer security upgrades to vunerable homes.

This is a new estate part built with homes that have been finished being lived in and part finished homes fenced off.

I spoke to the security company who have signs up on the metal fences and they informed me they are taking the builder to court as they haven't paid the security bill. He told me the builder is going into administration and the part finished homes won't be finished anytime soon.

There are homes on mixed streets of part built and fenced off unfinished homes.

The roads are not finished and there is no street lighting in place.

I went to one home at the end of an unlit culdesac.

The front door already had signs of an attempted break in. The door handle cover had been lifted to reveal the eurocylinder.

There was a garden spade lying on the unmade road outside.

If I was to put money on any house being burgled sometime soon this would be the house I would suggest.

Now the area around the new housing is sink estate as with many of the latterly bought land plots at the height of the mad housing boom.

I would probably guess that the owners budget for security would stretch no more than

Im gonna buy a load of flat pack furniture from Ikea build it and sell it as bespoke furniture, my new job title will be cabinet maker!

What i dont sell this year i can hang on to it for a while and then sell them as antiques and become an antique dealer. :fear:

There is common sense being said on here.

Certainly I must be paying too much for my Grade 2 kit but since I am buying directly from the distributor Gardiner at what I am told are trade prices where do I go to get the stuff at better rates than that?

I won't admit to ripping people off as the customers are getting what they pay for.

The Yale systems might not be Grade 2 but Yale are a big company with a big reputation. They wouldn't sell burglar alarms if they didn't work.

At the end of the day the sensors detect movement and the sirens sound and the control panels dial out. They do what they claim to do. If anyone wants to challenge Yale under the terms of the Sale of Goods act and their fitness for purpose then be my guest.

There are reasons they aren't as good as Grade 2 kit. The range of the detectors and the sensor design for instance. They aren't dualcom and cannot be accepted for police response.

I didn't mean to criticise the police but the ACPO terms for police response is document with a single aim. That aim is to prevent the Police attending false alarms.

To this end they specify the specification of the equipment and the qualifications of the installer.

That is all well and good so far.

However they then go on to add that your response will be withdrawn if you or the company who fitted your alarm registers too many false alarms.

Every home that has an alarm fitted will have false alarms until they get used to how the system works. Even if the system is fitted perfectly by completely competent personell there will still be false alarms.

Sunday morning the kids get up and rush straight into the kitchen..bingo.

Everyone gets home from shopping and the kids rush in to turn on the TV..bingo

The cat decides to climb up the curtains and despite pet friendly sensors..Bingo

Hidden right at the end of the document is the fact that the Police will only attend IF THEY HAVE RESOURCES AVAILABLE..so if you keep your URN safe by conforming to all the above there is still no GUARANTEED Police response.

I am not angry or bitter I am just looking at this industry with a new set of eyes as a newby.

Would I personally have a monitored system if I was a consumer buying an alarm now. Probably not I would save the expense and would have an autodialler with a gsm back up.

My furniture business did collapse because of Chinese goods being imported. Sure I could have looked for another outlet for my product but like the farmers you either supply the big supermarkets or you go out of business. Supply the supermarkets of course and you get your balls twisted.

Competeing against chinese goods was impossible. Health and safety,minimum wages, red tape , environmental costs etc etc all added to make it impossible to manufacture in this coutry to the same price as far eastern goods shipped in.

Gordon Brown would be wishing there was still some manufacturing left in this country right now but he left it to wither on the vine by failing to protect it.

As a woodworking factory I was probably the single most regulated business type in the country with everything covered by both health and safety and environmental legislation.

Right now I want to advertise some Grade 2 installs on my website so I will be looking for a local experienced installer to do some moonlighting for me.

I just need to source the goods at the right price.

When I have had enough installs done that I can get them inspected then I will be on my way towards beginning to conform. This next year will either make or break me.

Lol, Fastalarms you have no idea.

The police do not care about unconfirmed alarms such as you describe, so the customer would not loose the police response if only one detector was activated as non confirmed.

They have to say subject to resorces, its just like any other service with a legal disclaimer.

As for pet PIRs on a monitored job.....................................NEVER...............

...... for me anyway.

Right now I want to advertise some Grade 2 installs on my website so I will be looking for a local experienced installer to do some moonlighting for me.

I put you on 'ignore' but for some reason it didn't work and I read that post ..... and I was staggered! :o

You come on here to discuss alarms with honest, respectable alarm installers and then say you want our engineers to moonlight for you. :bruce_h4h:

Others have said they wish you luck. Well, I hope you fail ... and fast. :angry2:

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Guest old-hand
Sunday morning the kids get up and rush straight into the kitchen..bingo.

Everyone gets home from shopping and the kids rush in to turn on the TV..bingo

The cat decides to climb up the curtains and despite pet friendly sensors..Bingo

What would you call this activation, that is then restored after they realise their error?

...............................?

Archived