Security Installer Community

So What Is Your Solution?

fastalarms

Aim low = get low, if I wanted to be in the business of helping the deprived I would have gone into social work.

Don't get me wrong, I give regularly by standing order to several charities at home and abroad but that isn't the work I do.

I provide my customers with quality systems at a realistic price and with monitoring and/or maintenance repeat business. They expect me to be there for them, to upgrade their systems, to advise them, and to solve their problems by an engineer visit or by UDL and I can only do that if I have a healthy, profitable business.

By contrast you are recommending dummy bellboxes as a means of protection and fitting basic DIY equipment.

I come across the results of this every week, alarm fitted by an installer now gone out of business and customer has no one to go to for help with a problem.

You are free to do whatever you want but come back and tell me I've got it all wrong in 25 years time when you're still doing it and showing a healthy bank balance with a good customer base, no system failures, and you've just returned from your holiday in Barbados.

Absolutely.

I am aiming to get wher you are eventually. I am sure that the Powermax I do the test install with on Monday will prove to be just as easy as the YALE to fit.

The problem for me is NSI.

Lots of your companies were around long before NSI was required and therefore melded into the system.

Since 2005 it has been more difficult to do. If I could just fit professional alarms instead of the YALE then I would but the infrastructure isn't there yet.

I don't want to be that Cowboy who fits stuff and rips people off but I can't do it by the book either.

Would a local alarm company set me on knowing I was gleaning info to set up on my own?

Would anyone set me on at my age? probably not.

I too once had a profitable company manufacturing furniture and employing 40 staff. I had to shut down when Chines imports destroyed what had always been a cottage industry with long tradition.

Your settee from XYZ these days consists of chipboard, cardboard and gash softwood. The joints are stapled and glued and the leather is a split skin made to look like leather by being pressed through rollers.

When I started all frames were solid hardwood with dowelled joints glued and screwed.

The fabric and springs would last ten years easily.

That business had to close as it was losing

NSI's forerunner NACOSS was going when I started and it didn't hold me back, I actively helped form the SSAIB as an alternative to NACOSS and served on its Board of Directors until recently.

You don't need NSI to do things properly, you can work properly and offer good systems without inspectorate assistance or police response, however my advice would be to get in touch with the SSAIB and get an information pacvk to find out what you need to be doing to become SSAIB approved.

I'm sorry about your furniture business, that must have been a traumatic experience and all power to your elbow for making an effort to support yourself as you are doing.

Aim high and you do not know what you will be able to accomplish but listen to advice and don't try to discredit installers here, who after all have done well to still be in business - I've survived two recessions up to now and hope to survive this one, I don't appreciate people telling me that I've got it wrong!

Forget it guys, he knows best.

PS: I'm 23, started up last year at 22 with Chris approval was only gained in 2008 we are a new firm doing it the correct way, so all that c##p about it is harder ect. yes it is, but for me it was not an option to fit yale rubbish, if something is too hard, don't do it. Its the right way or not at all for me.

I came through via a full apprenticeship, NVQ and C & G, and if i am honest ppl like you bug the hell out of me. This is not an easy industry, if you want the quick easy fix, start fitting window blinds or something.

The only good thing about you lot is you are easy to show up, if the customer has any common sense.

I have no issue with you personally, but you are off your rocker if you think there is great money and an easy life in this game.

Start the way you mean to go on (not using DIY kit IMHO)

Focus on your own quality of service, equipment & workmanship.

Don't target customers who ignore the above and only focus on cheapest price.

Respect those that have been around a few decades and have worked hard and invested money in gaining approval.

Aim to gain approval and don't aim to make approval out to be some sort of masonic insider trading scheme.

Like alter above I completely dislike your method of work but not all your ideas or you personally.

Archived