Security Installer Community

Connect Alarm To Phoneline - All Pics Included

gaz0001

Hi,

I recently had a texecom premier alarm installed.

At the time i was still waiting for NTL to connect me up. The installer said that he would leave the wires in the phone box thing and all i had to do was connect them.

Not too sure where to connect the wires??

Below are several pictures, please help.

The picture below shows the NTL phone box. Above this is the internal speaker for the alarm. The installer has ran one white cable... 7 core?? i think? and all the cables go to the internal speaker apart from a red and a black which he has left in the phone box.

post-21928-1230493095_thumb.jpg

The NTL phone box, only has two wires connected to it. the wires are a white and blue stripe and a blue with white stripe. The white and blue are terminated in A and seem to be +v, and the blue with white terminated in B and is -v.

The are 4 wires from NTL which are not terminated at all, the Orange pair and the green pair. ( I have a a feeling that my red and black are supposed to connect to one of these loose non terminated pairs?

post-21928-1230493364_thumb.jpg

The picture below shows the whole thing.

Please note there is a terminal numbered 2 - 5, presumably for the 2 pairs that are not connected? Also in the picture i have connected my red and black up to the blue pair, a & b........ which did nothing!

post-21928-1230493653_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I recently had a texecom premier alarm installed.

At the time i was still waiting for NTL to connect me up. The installer said that he would leave the wires in the phone box thing and all i had to do was connect them.

Not too sure where to connect the wires??

Below are several pictures, please help.

The picture below shows the NTL phone box. Above this is the internal speaker for the alarm. The installer has ran one white cable... 7 core?? i think? and all the cables go to the internal speaker apart from a red and a black which he has left in the phone box.

post-21928-1230493095_thumb.jpg

The NTL phone box, only has two wires connected to it. the wires are a white and blue stripe and a blue with white stripe. The white and blue are terminated in A and seem to be +v, and the blue with white terminated in B and is -v.

The are 4 wires from NTL which are not terminated at all, the Orange pair and the green pair. ( I have a a feeling that my red and black are supposed to connect to one of these loose non terminated pairs?

post-21928-1230493364_thumb.jpg

The picture below shows the whole thing.

Please note there is a terminal numbered 2 - 5, presumably for the 2 pairs that are not connected? Also in the picture i have connected my red and black up to the blue pair, a & b........ which did nothing!

post-21928-1230493653_thumb.jpg

Tbh you should get your installer back to complete the installation as thats what you have paid him for....... also he will need to test that the dialler works properly and for your own piece of mind.

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Hi, normally you would have 2 cores used to your BT box-blue/white white/blue to terms 2 and 5 at the box-if any are spare they would only be used if you have more than one line coming in.

Your alarm will just pick up on 2 and 5 also at that box-a competent alarm installer will have used BT type solid core cable to hookup between the alarm and the BT point-if you have a red and black it aint a BT type cable!!.

Do you have broadband on your line? is a BB filter fitted? as the above posts really you need to see what you have been quoted for and what you have got.

Get the installer to sort it out-thats what you've paid for!.

Richard.

Hi,

The installer was a decent bloke, and a done a decent job. Just didnt terminate the phone line due to the line not being active.

I have no broadband coming in on the phone line.

Im with NTL for Phone, TV and Broadband. My broadband goes via a coax cable, not ADSL or nothing.

My dialtone is always solid, with the Virgin Media voicemail seperated dial tone removed, as the installer said when the dialtone is not a solid one it causes the alarm to go off.

Although the cable is not the same colour code as the phone cable it feels the same in terms of size and core?? Could the engineer just of used two of the cables from the alarm cable to save running another cable??

Does it sound like my red & black simply connect up to the blue/white white blue?

Hi, yes basically whatever 'cores' your alarm guy has used hook them up to 2 and 5-polarity doesn't normally matter.

As for the cables he's used, yes you can use two 'spare' cores on an alarm cable but it's not recommended-the alarm devices will use 12v dc and possibly data if a keypad is driven of it-BT cable is twisted to help prevent interference etc and BT lines use 50v dc-it's possible to have weird induced problems.

Also dependent on the panel you can turn line monitor off(not recommended) or to low security-usually monitors tone/volts or both-change to just volts.

Regards Richard.

Hi, yes basically whatever 'cores' your alarm guy has used hook them up to 2 and 5-polarity doesn't normally matter.

As for the cables he's used, yes you can use two 'spare' cores on an alarm cable but it's not recommended-the alarm devices will use 12v dc and possibly data if a keypad is driven of it-BT cable is twisted to help prevent interference etc and BT lines use 50v dc-it's possible to have weird induced problems.

Also dependent on the panel you can turn line monitor off(not recommended) or to low security-usually monitors tone/volts or both-change to just volts.

Regards Richard.

Just for information, you can't get induced from dc sources.

I suspect as the speaker is next to the phone socket , he has used a spare pair in the speaker cable, the speaker however will be AC and could cause induced on the phone line, therefore if the alarm is activated and the speech dialler dials out while the speaker is sounding it could lead to noise on the phone line.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hi,

I have connected it up to the 2 & 5, and nothing happens.

Not too sure what the rd & black are connected to at th other end, i presume they are connected up to the correct ports.

If i open up the control box, it will set the tamper alarm off. Can i as the master user reset the tamper alarm or can it only be reset by the engineer user??

Just connecting at 2 & 5 can cause security issues[not going to say what in public], it would be much better to go to the panel first then the phone socket [it would not be hard to do this].

Secondly i have had issues in the past when the polarity has been reversed.

It's against regs. (alarm regs. and telecommunication regs.) to have phone and alarm items on the same cable.

Opening the panel could invalidate any warranty or service agreement.

You really should speak to the installer

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Archived