Security Installer Community

Flashing Leds - Where To Buy ?

scotyjohn

also led's have a lens in them giving an angle of light in effect. So when you look at your bicycle lights your normally at the same level as the lights so they are clearly visible. Yet a bell is normally high up and you are viwing outside the viewable angle so all you can see is refracted output from the plastic. If you look at them stright on the will be far brighter.

Also if you left your bicycle light on 24 hours how long would it last? basically changing the batteries in that is far easier then getting up to the bell so they tend to run at a lower output to extend the life.

2 weeks is fine for a bike light but youd soon get miffed at getting out the ladders every fortnight for your bell led's wouldnt you?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

these cheap 5 led bicycle rear lights run off two batteries ( AA ) can be seen up to 500 metres away, why come two supposdly ultra bright leds run off a lithium battery are so weak ??

Simple maths really. :whistle:

1. Run time - years vs minutes/hours (how many hours in 5 years?) (over 40,000 if you can't work it out)

2. Viewable area covered 5 degrees (bike) say vs 90 (alarm) needs over 300 times more light output.

So we're looking at a ratio of OVER TEN MILLION TO ONE! :w00t:

(and 500 yards vs 50 yards is 100:1 for light visibility - square law, so at best 100,000 to 1)

So, if 2 AA batteries weigh 50 grams you'd need 5 tons of them for your bell-box LED's! :lol:

Okay guys as always thanks for your continued advice regarding the LED saga !!! okay have noticed that the particular leds within the set I purchased with the alarm box apart from being not very bright only have the light emiiting from the very top off the led ie no visable light from the sides, so okay guess I need to change them for some brighter ones that will give me more light output from side on as well as from the top.

I appreciatte what is being said about viewing the leds once the alarm boxes are high up on the building but the only thing I will say about that is the vast majority off bell boxes leds can all be viewed no problem and its not just the reflected light on the actual lens area itself, in saying that the bulbs on the style off box I have here ( Texeceom ) are set pretty well back in the box.

have noticed the following leds on ebay anyone fancy having a quick look and see if they look as if they could be the right bulbs for the type off purpose I require them for ?? one thing I did notice about the leds in the link are that the legs off the leds are longer than the ones I have here, can thse be cut to suit the holders I already have ??

the leds I have here already are designed to flash alternativly, bit confused if it is the bulbs themslves or possibly some extra circuitry within the module that controls how the leds flash ?? I notice these leds are said to flash, just wonder if added to the set up I have here if they will still flash alternativly ??

will get there in the end I am sure !!!

ebay link :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I wouldn't use those "self-flashing" bulbs from eBay; you have no idea how long they would take to empty a battery.

I'd only buy a proper "designed for the job" package with low-current external control circuits to manage the flashing and a stated run life of several years.

Can someone please tell me what are the benefits of having flashing LEDs.

What are they supposed to signify, they all seem to be operating differently?

Alarm systems have been around for donkeys years with no flashing LEDs, only strobes that worked only in an alarm condition, why the stupid LEDs?

.. to tell you the alarm is set or not?, Don't you know? etc etc

The local scrote will have a go if an alarm is fitted or not if he feels it looks worth the effort.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Can someone please tell me what are the benefits of having flashing LEDs.

I don't think there is any security benefit to be derived from flashing or static led's ..... but customers like 'em.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

I don't think there is any security benefit to be derived from flashing or static led's ..... but customers like 'em.

Customers like them ?? I think its more a case off virtually every modern alarm bell box having them fitted as standard nowadays is it not ?? certainly around this way have yet to see any bell box that has not got two alternating blue / red or green leds.

personally think it brings attention to the fact that an alam is actually fitted to a house, on a dark wall surely this is benefical itself is it not ??

Scoty maybe you may have a bell with the flashing LED's but it will not stop the ned trying to break in to a house untill the bell activates. Not sure what part of fife you are in but round by me the wee idiots have tried to get into my hut and van!

Get a proper alarm system that covers all areas and maybe with a built in dialler(Gardtec 490x) that will dial your mobile if the alarm activates. What system do you have at thhe moment?

It seems you are going for the cheapest way to deter intruders but it will never work.

Only my advice from fife lol!

!

Scoty maybe you may have a bell with the flashing LED's but it will not stop the ned trying to break in to a house untill the bell activates. Not sure what part of fife you are in but round by me the wee idiots have tried to get into my hut and van!

Get a proper alarm system that covers all areas and maybe with a built in dialler(Gardtec 490x) that will dial your mobile if the alarm activates. What system do you have at thhe moment?

It seems you are going for the cheapest way to deter intruders but it will never work.

Only my advice from fife lol!

Yep okay appreciatte what you are saying mate but having seen the official statistics for house bugularies it would seem the presance off a bell box itself is "" sometimes " good enough to deter at least some off the scum from having a go, which again is surely a good thing ??!!

as mentioned before I stay in one off the newer housing estates, no expert but can honestly say where my house is situated I honestly would not think the front off my house ie the front door would ever be a consideration for them to gain entry, the side off the house has no ground level windows which just leaves the rear patio door area, have decided that rather than pay hundreds off pounds for an alarm sytemn fitted I will go for the bell box front and rear and have just fitted a new Pir ( Homeguad bs8000 with built in dialler ) also have a door contact set up to the external bell box. also have a dog within the house so hopefully this itself may cut down on the chances off my home being choosen !!! its surely the old story if there is a row off houses and if one appears to be the lesser risk ie. no external lighting/ no alarm boxes and no barking dog then guess this would be the autmatic choice would it not ??

so at the end off the day surely an extra

Archived