Security Installer Community

Bell Box Not Triggering

phil-h44

I have just replaced my old Scantronic 9200 Panel & ext bellbox (failed after 20+ years) with a NEW

Scantronic 9448 Panel and a Texecom Odyssey 1 Bellbox.

The alarm panel appears to be working as it should but the external siren/strobe is not triggering when an alarm state occurs.

I have checked and double checked all the wiring and connections.

If I disconnect the bellbox +ve supply from the control panel (panel in engineer mode) the bellbox immediately triggers.. it stops when I reconnect the cable.

Am I missing something or could either the panel or bellbox be faulty, how can I test to ascertain which one is the culprit.

Many thanks..... Phil.

Hi, I know you've said "checked and double checked", but it does still sound like a wiring problem,either wrong conns in panel or even duff cores to the sounder-let us know what conns you have made and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Richard.

How are you testing it ?..the 9448 triggers the internals first, then the external , so leave it for longer when it triggers.You could get it to trigger immeadiately by pressing a PA button , or using the belltest .

I agree, do a bell test first (follow instructions in user manual), this will activate the internal the strobe and the external sounder in sequence. Assuming the external works when you do this then the wiring is ok.

As above if you trigger the alarm by entering a final exit door then the internal will activate but the external doesn't cound until more time has elapsed.

common question o answering from experience of ansering it wiy=th clients.

all would add is the alarm has to be fully armed i/e.exit timed out and buzzer silenced. before the external siren will operate, so if you don't achieve a full set the external siren will not sound. only time it as exception is if the bell test is run (why it is suggested above) or a PAB/Smoke alarm is activated.

openning a lid causing a tamper cndition while unset will only cause internal sirens unles setup to current EN regs.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Arf-That reply had so many errors as far as the queens english goes- :rolleyes: !!!!

Rich

soz mate,

i've foun a bottle of wine has magical properties = in making my keyboard less responsive to the correct keypresses

might try speech slur recognition (hic!):lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks fellas... I will try to reply to all the points.

I know that the ext sounder is 30secs after the internal (Dual Ply).. this can be disabled in the 9448... the bell doesnt work in either setting.

If I bridge the 0v and neg applied output (0v & BELL in the panel) the ext bell will trigger ( this wouldn't happen if the wiring were duff)

If I remove the +12v connection the Ext Bell will trigger on it's own battery.

The wiring is connected as per the 9448 and Bellbox manuals i.e.

Bellbox A (+ve supply) to Panel 12v

" B (-ve bell) to " BELL

" C (-ve tamper) to " TR

" D (0v) to " 0V

" S (-ve strobe) to " STR

I have metered all the cores and get an OK (continuity) on them all.

I have checked all the fuse in the Panel... all OK

I can't think of anything else

Note. Assuming that the panel could be faulty... the suppliers have exchanged it........ but the problem is still the same.

Archived